How important is a master's degree?

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

dinosaurs

How important is a master's degree?

Unread post by dinosaurs »

Hi, I have been planning to teach English abroad for a very long time now but keep putting it off. I'm currently in a Master's program my employer is paying for. The Degree is Master's of Science in General Administration.

I'm not learning anything and I hate all of the courses. I was planning to leave this job and teach English immediately after the degree, but now I'm contemplating leaving sooner.

I just want to ask some ESL teachers with job hunting experience if this is something you think would give me a leg up with potential employers? I often see ads for jobs that say Master's degree preferred, or higher pay for a instructors with a Master's degree. These ads never specify a type of Master's degree in them. Would this degree really help even though it is not in anything language or education related?

My Bachelors is in Anthropology so I don't have any teaching credentials.
ZionRion

Re: How important is a master's degree?

Unread post by ZionRion »

I work at an English teacher recruiting firm in Japan (http://educareer.jp/),

When our Recruiting Manager looks at resumes, we require a university degree, I can't say a Master's degree gives that much more value to a candidate unless the degree is in Education, ESL, or English. If you have a degree (Master's or not) in any of those areas you can be considered for more competitive positions. TEFL and TESOL are good too, but they are sometimes trumped by applicable teaching experience.

This is just with my company, I'm not as sure about other places.

I got my first job on the JET Program because I'd got some part-time teaching experience as a University student.

Good luck!
Check out my companies website if you're interested in Japan.

-- Ryan
gedeasy

Unread post by gedeasy »

A master's degree is often necessary to land certain jobs or for career advancement within some fields. “Continuing education is clearly important, but the value of a master's degree depends on what you do with it,” said Parcells.
LeesaJohnson
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by LeesaJohnson »

Master's degree important for career advancement so you should keep your courses continue. You should try to attend regular classes for a master degree because it will build up subject concepts in a better way.
terryerle

Unread post by terryerle »

Get the degree. It will give you more options. My masters has repaid itself 100 times over.