Age Factor

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

CaliRay

Age Factor

Unread post by CaliRay »

I have considered taking a certification course to teach English. I have only an AA degree in Electronics Technology, but am a native English speaker and have extensive work related world wide travel experience. Being from Texas, U.S.A., some might say I speak with a foreign accent.

I have reviewed several job listings here, particularly for China, and see that they all have age maximums. I am 67 years old, but hadn't considered that as a detrimental factor. Apparently others do.

Is my age going to be an insurmountable problem?

Thanks for any replies.
konyang

Re: Age Factor

Unread post by konyang »

In Korea, there are some FEW places that will consider some-one over 64. Most draw the line at fifty or even younger.

I know some-one who left China after teaching there for a long time. She was 65. She got a job in Mongolia.
hompratax

Unread post by hompratax »

"CaliRay" is now of 68. Too much older for a job, I think. I would be happy if he would reply about getting a job or not still now. But, he may get a job in some private institutions showing his previous experience and success. He must be great in mentality.
gamgokt

Unread post by gamgokt »

Yes your age will be a factor, most schools want young people just like the west. Also, most countries reguire a minimum of a Bachelor's degree to get a work visa for teaching
casperd

Unread post by casperd »

Maybe no.I am admiring you for being a good teacher.
I want also to teach.that was my dream...
But Not really good.I am new in this world of teaching I want to explore more..
jorjastandish

Unread post by jorjastandish »

I don't think so.
Teviot

Unread post by Teviot »

Many schools in Asia do prefer the young ones -- in part because they will put up with intolerable conditions, long hours, insensitive bureaucracy and more. Still, the more reputable and the desperate will consider us "older folks" because they know we are more responsible and have much more life and work experience to draw upon. Older teachers are (quite often) better teachers!
quinreitz

Unread post by quinreitz »

How about tutorial jobs?
nyzahauser

Unread post by nyzahauser »

yes i will go for tutorial jobs.
Roze

Unread post by Roze »

The law in most countries prohibits issueing work permits for those over a certain age and stipulates a BA as the minimum qualification. This is a pity because often those with lesser degrees are better teachers. As for age, life experience is often better than a piece of paper when it comes to knowledge.However, rules are rules so your best bet is online tutoring via Skype.
Camron

Unread post by Camron »

I have reviewed several job listings here, particularly for China, and see that they all have age maximums. I am 67 years old, but hadn't considered that as a detrimental factor. Apparently others do.
You can easily check out our best quality 350-018 practice test dumps best of luck
johnsimpson
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by johnsimpson »

Your age is not the major factor if you are adventurous enough. Do you you know how to teach English? There's more to it than meets the eye. Try going for a CELTA course. Travel to the country you want to, then advertise yourself independently. As an independent qualified native speaking teacher, you will be in high demand and will beat all the competition, especially the language centres, who will wish they didn't have an age restriction.
ZionRion

Unread post by ZionRion »

Yeah, I would say there's a stigma after a certain age in Japan as well.
Which is kind of scary... as everyone will get older (myself included!)

But that's not to say there isn't good work either.
Older folks can often teach at universities, businesses, or community centers but those tend to be more part-time positions that you have to string together and schedule for yourself. Here it's unlikely a Jr. High, High School, or Language School will hire someone after their late 40's.

But I hope you will prove me wrong! :^)
Moonbeam

Unread post by Moonbeam »

In China the employers prefer young native English speakers and sort of ignore everyone else.