New storytelling game for ELL teaching

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

jcannon

New storytelling game for ELL teaching

Unread post by jcannon »

Hi,
My name is Jonathan Cannon. I'm a math/science teacher at Meridian Academy in Boston. With a friend, I've developed a storytelling card game called Wing It that would make an excellent ELL teaching tool. (Several Spanish teachers looked at it and each offered to translate it into Spanish so they could use it as a language teaching tool in their classes!)

In a nutshell: one card is drawn that presents students with a challenging situation. Each student has different objects listed on cards in their hand that they can use as their resources to resolve the situation. Each player comes up with a story about how they'll solve the situation using exactly 3 of the 5 objects in their hand, and then everyone takes turns pitching their story to a judge (the teacher? another student?), who selects a winner.

We're about to launch a Kickstarter to get the game printed in large numbers. I'll post a link to the Kickstarter when it's live -- until then, you can read more on www.wingitthegame.com. Let me know if this sounds interesting to you, or share your thoughts on how I could better adapt the game for teachers.

Jon