Grammar, where to start?

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

Capris

Grammar, where to start?

Unread post by Capris »

Hello!

I am considering of becoming a teacher of English. I am a native speaker (US) living abroad. I do not know what level my grammar is, but the main problem is i have no knowledge of tenses etc. I do not know where to start!

Does anyone have any good site on learning grammar but for teaching? I only find "fill in the blank" tests. I need some place that explains grammar.

Thank you in advance!
Susan

Re: Grammar, where to start?

Unread post by Susan »

Take a look at anything by Raymond Murphy.
keith

Unread post by keith »

Are you thinking of taking a TEFL course? Some courses include a grammar module, which will help, or offer a separate grammar awareness course. (We also offer a course at Eslbase which you can find here).

Having a sound knowledge of grammar before you start teaching will certainly give you more confidence, but remember that you'll also learn "on the job", increasing your knowledge as you teach.

As far as books go, I agree with Susan - the Raymond Murphy books are good alternatives to an online course.

Hope that helps.
LeesaJohnson
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by LeesaJohnson »

You can improve your writing by following proper grammar rules and it is mandatory for everyone to read good books for it. In the market, you can easily find various writer's book but you should give priority whose written material is simple and easy to understand. I suggest you some English grammar books:-
English Grammar in Use - Book by Raymond Murphy
Advanced Grammar in Use Supplementary Exercises with Answers - Book by Martin Hewings
The McGraw-Hill Handbook of English Grammar and Usage - Book by Larry Beason and Mark Lester
rishisehrawat

Unread post by rishisehrawat »

You can find English grammar explanation and exercises both at http://www.impactlanguagetraining.com