TESL Training for CT Certified Teacher?

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

brendevjilrowil

TESL Training for CT Certified Teacher?

Unread post by brendevjilrowil »

I have been teaching literature and writing for 10+ years in public schools and various colleges. I'm looking for input from those who are knowledgeable in this TESL certification. I would like to teach overseas in the new school year. I hold a CT certification in English 7-12 and an MA in Education do I also need the TESL certification to teach overseas. Is it helpful? Are there any other seasoned English teachers out there who have done this? I would love your advice.
ICAL_Pete
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Re: TESL Training for CT Certified Teacher?

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

Your teaching experience - even though not strictly in ESL, is going to be a plus when it comes to your job application, however you will probably find that standard qualifications required in most countries and jobs are a degree plus a TESL Certificate.

Being certified will certainly make you more marketable and it will also give you a useful insight into a different subject and methodology.
oxbridge

Unread post by oxbridge »

It is useful to do a TEFL course because although a lot of the skills are similar there are certain aspects that it is useful to know specifically for teaching English as a foreign language. If you don't want to do a full TEFL course it's possible to get a sponsored course that is modular so you could just do a Lesson Planning module and maybe a Teaching Skills module for teaching beginners, for example. Have a look at 'Oxbridge TEFL' online if you are interested as we've had lots of existing teachers do the Oxbridge TEFL course, so it could be an easier way? Good luck.
zohaa

Unread post by zohaa »

nice posts,thanks for sharing
Cut down your exam stress by using our latest 70-487 - latest dump and high quality.