How to teach English as 2nd language?

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

alphanexgen

How to teach English as 2nd language?

Unread post by alphanexgen »

Hi,

I'm Chris. I'm consider myself to be quite well with English language despite it being my second language.Therefore, I would like to help out my friends by teaching them English language. However, I have never taught or tutored anyone before. So, if someone could point me into a right direction on where to start, I would really be appreciated.

I will be focused mainly on grammar (for writing) and conversation.
shelleyvernon

Re: How to teach English as 2nd language?

Unread post by shelleyvernon »

Dear Chris,

Hello there. Here is a short video showing how to teach English 1:1 to a six year old and a twelve year old. These language games are from a book of games for teaching kids. The method really works, but the book is for teaching kids !

For teaching adults only about half the games in the book would work but if you sign up for the free game samples you'll get some that are ok for adults.

http://www.homeenglishteacher.com

All the best
Shelley
LinguaTutor

Unread post by LinguaTutor »

Hello Chris

You can go on youtube and look for some ideas on how to teach students in various age groups. It's actually hard to tell someone how to teach without actual hands-on training. Everyone has their own teaching style so you just need to find the right "style" for your friend.

Take care!
ibougoin

Unread post by ibougoin »

I do not know if you plan to teach older learners but I can ensure you that students of any age groups have to train their speaking skills a lot. Studying in a group helps them to repeat the same conversation many times and they do not feel themselves bored because they change partners. That’s how it’s going on with our older learners: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goXOnenL ... ew&index=4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goXOnenL ... ew&index=4
Tougheart

Unread post by Tougheart »

Hello Chris,

I have the same situation as yours as I am thinking about using my English knowledge to tutor friends and families at first, but I don't know how to start.

If you have started I would really appreciate it if you could recommend something to me, I will also consider the valuable advises mentioned in this topic as well.

Regards,
Kareem M. Nassag
anosh

Unread post by anosh »

Thank you so much for your reply it helps me alot.
You can easily check out our best quality HP2-B109
ppasban

Unread post by ppasban »

I have been teaching literature
johnsimpson
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by johnsimpson »

It would help if you knew which level of English you are, to enable you to target the right students for you.Try this Cambridge test and check your level.Why not seek the Cambridge English qualifications, as a Cambridge CAE would go a long way in your future career. For a teachers' qualification take the Cambridge TKT test, and you don't have to be a native speaker to take it. http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams/skills-for-life/
marziye

Unread post by marziye »

Know what you are teaching. Being a native English speaker does not automatically make you an effective ESL teacher. For non-native speakers, learning rules of grammar and pronunciation is crucial to effectively learning the language. As an ESL teacher, it is important that you refresh your own understanding of the topics you will be teaching. Prior to drafting your lesson plans, give yourself a quick refresher course on the basics of English grammar so that you yourself have a firm foundation.

Write up your own lesson plans for each class. Drafting a lesson plan prior to each class will help you prepare a well-thought out session for your students. Your lesson plans should remain simple and focused, with a variety of activities that incorporate student involvement. The creator of Teaching ESL to Adults (see References section) suggests that each lesson plan should have a main topic, a few objectives, time to explain and study the material as a class, student activities and a short evaluation at the end.

For example, one class session may cover the verb "to be." The objectives might include having students be able to effectively use the verb "to be" in a short conversation or in writing five sentences. After explaining the uses of "to be" and providing a few examples, students may write out a few sentences using the verb. Lastly, the teacher may evaluate these sentences to assess how the students are learning.

Start with the basics. If you think back to when you first started learning English in school, the first things that come to mind are the alphabet, pronunciation and basic verb structure. The same should follow for your students.

In explaining basic topics, do not overload your students. Teaching "horizontally" means that rather than building on the many uses, rules or exceptions of one topic ( i.e., the verb "to be"), start with one use at a time. In this case, instead of teaching the use of "to be" as a state of being and a way of expressing passive voice, just focus on the first part and cover the second part in the next lesson.

Enunciate clearly and speak slowly. Students who are just learning English will not be able to keep up if you are speaking with a heavy accent or speaking very quickly. Enunciate all of the letters in each word so they can be clearly distinguished from one another. Similarly, avoid "slang" English until you and your students have gone over such cultural idioms.

Acknowledge cultural differences. Some students may learn differently from each other and may have difficulties with or excel in very different topics. If students have recently emigrated from other countries they may be dealing with culture shock in addition to a language barrier. Try to be understanding of their unique struggle to learn both a new language and a new culture. Get to know your students as people and learn about where they come from as well. Knowing more about them will improve your teaching skills as you will have a better understanding of what each student needs from you

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_7867944_teach-e ... guage.html
johnsimpson
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by johnsimpson »

For teaching or learning English as a second language this is useful place to get the right coursebooks, books for children and students.