Teaching in Yemen

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

busybee

Teaching in Yemen

Unread post by busybee »

All over the Internet you can find the job offer for EFL teachers at YALI/YCMES in Sana'a, Yemen. However, the "intern" only earns $300 per month, while local teachers earn at least three times as much. After inquiring, I found out that this offer is really bad since housing is not very expensive in Yemen and neither is transportation. So the fact that they give you a place to stay and pick you up from the airport is not worth much. I was also told that there were many other job opportunities with much better pay and a much more stable work environment (apparently, YALI/YCMES doesn't care much about contracts and so you might lose your job any moment. The general manager was fired after having worked for only one month!). Can anyone tell me about other job opportunities in Yemen?
PhillipF

Re: Teaching in Yemen

Unread post by PhillipF »

The problem I find with the YALI-YCMES program is the issue of security, the program is run by the US embassy in Yemen which has been targetted several times by terrorist attacks.
julyking

Unread post by julyking »

All over the Internet you can find the job offer for EFL teachers at YALI/YCMES in Sana'a, Yemen. However, the "intern" only earns $300 per month, while local teachers earn at least three times as much. After inquiring, I found out that this offer is really bad since housing is not very expensive in Yemen and neither is transportation. So the fact that they give you a place to stay and pick you up from the airport is not worth much. I was also told that there were many other job opportunities with much better pay and a much more stable work environment (apparently, YALI/YCMES doesn't care much about contracts and so you might lose your job any moment. The general manager was fired after having worked for only one month!). Can anyone tell me about other job opportunities in Yemen?
Susan

Unread post by Susan »

The British Counil used to have a centre there, don't know if they still do.
saboor

Unread post by saboor »

www, lots of great info in there. Thanks for taking your time to do that.
saboor