Interactive Phonemic Chart
Listen to the sounds of English
Please wait a few seconds while the chart loads...
The symbols on this clickable chart represent the 44 sounds used in British English speech (Received Pronunciation). Click on each symbol or sample word to hear. (See also: Printable Phonemic Chart)
Monophthong vowels are arranged by mouth shape:
- left > right, lips wide > lips round
- top > bottom, jaw closed > jaw open
The first two rows of consonants are paired:
- above, voiceless
- below, voiced
This version of the phonemic chart is based on the familiar Adrian Underhill layout.
- The Phonemic Chart Explained - YouTube
- What is the phonemic chart? - YouTube
- International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) - YouTube