missing

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

PinkLady
Rising Star
Rising Star

missing

Post by PinkLady »

Consider the following sentence

"I was at the library desk to collect some books, but the librarian was missing."

When we say that someone 'is missing', does this imply that there is a reason to be concerned? For example, if the librarian was just not on the counter/desk, but somewhere else in the library, would the phrase 'to be missing' be suitably used?

-----------------------

Thanks.
Mr Greg
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: missing

Post by Mr Greg »

In the context of the sentence, it can go either way. Usually when a person is at their location, 'not here/there' would be a better way to describe the situation.

"I was at the library desk to collect some books, but the librarian was not there.'

Missing can imply something worse, it depends on the tone of the sentence. Absent is a better choice of word to use.
Murazik
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: missing

Post by Murazik »

PinkLady wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:46 pm Consider the following sentence

"I was at the library desk to collect some books, but the librarian was missing."

When we say that someone 'is missing', does this imply that there is a reason to be concerned? For example, if the librarian was just not on the counter/desk, but somewhere else in the library, would the phrase 'to be missing' be suitably used?

-----------------------

Thanks.
Missing its when someone is not here because of a serious occurence
As far as I was concerned Can't wait to see whatever movie they're filming in London right now.