adjective and adjective clause

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

milesedger

adjective and adjective clause

Post by milesedger »

I am trying to accurately translate the title of an elementary algebra book section from another language. My best try so far has been

"Solving The Convertible-To-Linear Equations in One Variable"

; but I feel those dashes are not necessarily standard English (may be wrong).

An almost word-by-word translation from the original language would be

"Solving Equations In One Variable, Convertible To Linear" (the comma appears in the original title) -- which in English would likely be something like:
"Solving The Equations in One Variable That Are Convertible To Linear"

The above feels more like standard English to me but does it not bind "That Are Convertible to Linear" clause to the word "Variable" instead of "Equations" (which is the intention)? If it does, would replacing dashes to blanks in my "best try" above make a good English tittle? Or, is there a better way?

Thank you!
Edgermilesmini militia mod apk you would also like to play this mini militia unlimited health multiplayer shooting game with friends.
Josef Essberger
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: adjective and adjective clause

Post by Josef Essberger »

milesedger wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:35 am I am trying to accurately translate the title of an elementary algebra book section from another language. My best try so far has been

"Solving The Convertible-To-Linear Equations in One Variable"

; but I feel those dashes are not necessarily standard English (may be wrong).

An almost word-by-word translation from the original language would be

"Solving Equations In One Variable, Convertible To Linear" (the comma appears in the original title) -- which in English would likely be something like:
"Solving The Equations in One Variable That Are Convertible To Linear"

The above feels more like standard English to me but does it not bind "That Are Convertible to Linear" clause to the word "Variable" instead of "Equations" (which is the intention)? If it does, would replacing dashes to blanks in my "best try" above make a good English tittle? Or, is there a better way?

Thank you!
Not that I understand a word of what you are saying, but note that Equations is plural while One Variable is singular, so the plural ARE cannot refer to One Variable.

Hope that makes some sense :roll:
English Prepositions List by Josef Essberger
Extremely useful ebook full of examples and visual aids to learn prepositions :ok: Inés Barbero