Role Of ICT In Eduaction

Moderator: EC

Mr Greg
Rising Star
Rising Star

Role Of ICT In Eduaction

Post by Mr Greg »

In today’s digital age, Information and Communication Technology (ICT) has revolutionized various aspects of our lives, including the field of education. ICT in education refers to the integration of technology tools, resources, and digital platforms to enhance teaching and learning experiences.

Do you think ICT has a major role in education?

Further reading: https://www.mrgregenglish.com/role-of-ict-in-education/
Darsh

Re: Role Of ICT In Eduaction

Post by Darsh »

Mr Greg wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:52 am In today’s digital age, Information and Communication Technology (ICT) has revolutionized various aspects of our lives, including the field of education. ICT in education refers to the integration of technology tools, resources, and digital platforms to enhance teaching and learning experiences.

Do you think ICT has a major role in education?

Further reading: https://www.mrgregenglish.com/role-of-ict-in-education/
Absolutely! The integration of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) has indeed transformed education, bringing innovation and efficiency to teaching and learning processes in the contemporary digital era.
BrianStapleton

Post by BrianStapleton »

When I returned to the US from Korea I had been gone for 9 years. As I started my training as a high school teacher I was bombarded with so many changes since I had been gone. Many were cultural, you'd be surprised how different your country can become in a decade. But the other big changes were technological. Students and teachers no longer print anything, and they barely need a pen. All of the assignments are online and so are the grades, now there is no confusion about missing assignments or parents going unaware of how poorly their child is performing. Teachers now rely heavily, maybe too heavily, on outside resources.
As a teacher it makes everything much easier. The online video meetings, the online grade books that calculate and track for you, the ability to text and email other teachers and parents at any moment... it all makes the job much nicer. And the students don't lug around bags full of heavy textbooks either.
What I really would like to see is more 100% online courses. The kids don't need to wake up at dawn, they don't need to be transported to and from school, they don't need passing periods. Schools can be closed down for the most part and education done more flexibly in terms of schedules and proximity. The money spent on facilities and staff can be diverted into improvements in the education itself. Some might object and say schools allow kids to socialize, play sports, eat together, and they're taken care of while their parents are busy at work. If so, then kids should go to facilities for that purpose.
I teach 1-hour English classes online and correct essays with comments. Classes are ongoing, weekly, and flexible.
Contact me via private message to schedule a class.

https://youtube.com/@brianstapleton5148?feature=shared
Mr Greg
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Mr Greg »

BrianStapleton wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:59 pm As a teacher it makes everything much easier. The online video meetings, the online grade books that calculate and track for you, the ability to text and email other teachers and parents at any moment... it all makes the job much nicer. And the students don't lug around bags full of heavy textbooks either.
What I really would like to see is more 100% online courses. The kids don't need to wake up at dawn, they don't need to be transported to and from school, they don't need passing periods. Schools can be closed down for the most part and education done more flexibly in terms of schedules and proximity. The money spent on facilities and staff can be diverted into improvements in the education itself. Some might object and say schools allow kids to socialize, play sports, eat together, and they're taken care of while their parents are busy at work. If so, then kids should go to facilities for that purpose.
An interesting insight.

I do agree that more time can be put towards learning at home, especially Primary and Secondary. The social aspect in Kindergarten and Nursery is far too important and learning cannot be done online.

Teaching has become easier with the vast amount of resources online. I believe it has actually inspired more to try out teaching as well.
jolivier

Post by jolivier »

I certainly agree that ICT plays a pivotal role in modern education. Through my experience teaching abroad, I can confidently add the following to this discussion.

1. Enhance learning opportunities: Through the years teaching in China, I came to learn that they've banned the use of international textbooks in schools. Personally, I have never been a fan of using textbooks anyway, especially abroad. The English levels are not in accordance with non-natives and is not personalized enough to accommodate students’ personal needs. As I knew that most teachers also solely rely on it rather than planning for differentiation within their lessons. ICT enables collaboration amongst students, teachers, and experts regardless of geographical barriers. Through online forums, video conferencing, and collaborative platforms, students can enhance in discussions, share ideas, and collaborate on projects in real time. This collaborative learning environment not only enhances students’ communication and teamwork skills but also promotes a sense of global citizenship and cultural awareness.

2. More access to all: One of the biggest challenges that international teachers, like me faces in non-English speaking countries, is the fact that there are little to no English resources available freely outside of school. To add on top of that, students’ parents might not even be able to speak English and therefore cannot help correcting students outside of classroom hours. Learning a new language is hard and needs a lot of practice. ICT provide students with access to a wealth of information and resources beyond the confines of traditional textbooks and classroom setting. With the Internet and digital platforms, students can explore diverse perspectives, engage in interactive learning activities, and access multimedia resources such as videos, simulations, and virtual libraries. This exposure reaches their learning experiences and foster critical thinking skills.

3. School investment in technology: One of my schools in China invested well into Technology use in the classroom. It is crucial not to jump into this decision, but to plan it thoroughly. For instance, we hired an IT person that was responsible for setting up the devices and for protecting the data privacy and security on them, each semester. But before students were given access to their personal iPads, parental consent and involvement form had to be completed and sent back to me, the coordinator. The iPads were given to each student for use but were still the property of the school’s and the iPads were locked in charging cabinets when not instructed to use by teacher. In contrast, I have worked at a school in Poland, that allows students to bring their own devices from home. This has not worked well, as students feel that it is still their property, and it is more open to bending the school’s rules. I will add that, to use iPads in class, there must be a defined educational objective. Students also need to understand the established guidelines for acceptable use of iPads in the classroom. Teachers should be given opportunity for training and professional development to integrate iPads into their teaching practices. With the school giving all iPads to students, enabled us to use Apple’s ‘Classroom’ application, which gave the teacher access to all classroom students' iPads for monitoring their work during an activity and/or blocking their screens when instructed. In addition, homeroom teachers also sent parents students’ data on screen time where parents could see the websites and applications visited and the number of hours spent on it. By addressing clear policies governing the use of iPads in the classroom, Schools can promote responsible use, maximize the educational benefits of technology, and create a safe and supportive learning environment for all students.
English digital platforms for further exploration:

• YouTube ESL channels (e.g. BBC Learning English, EnglishClass101, Learn English with Emma, TED-Ed)
• Duolingo
• Rosetta Stone
• Babbel
• Quizlet
• ChatGPT

My current school uses the Toddle platform for students to submit their work digitally, however there are more applications such as Google Classroom and Microsoft Teams. This has been a major game changer for managing work submissions, keeping track of deadlines and being more creative with homework, such as video submissions practicing listening and speaking skills.
This digital era has also inspired me in becoming a better graphic designer in my presentations using Canva. I’ve have noticed students responds well to them and are more eager to learn before starting a lesson. However, it takes a lot more time for planning which should be accounted for in schools.

I hope that you find some of these points helpful.
SitangCampus
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by SitangCampus »

ICT plays a role that paper did in the historical period when knowledge could only be written on silk, cloth or bamboo. But the problem it brings with it cannot be denied. Too many students at their young age have to wear glasses due to the eyesight impairment caused by too much exposure to the screen of digital devices.
nigrogi

Post by nigrogi »

Yes, indeed! The incorporation of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) has completely revolutionized education, introducing innovation and efficiency to teaching and learning processes in today's digital age.
https://freeinjectorml.com/nix-injector-apk/