Using AI bot to help with grammar

Ideas and advice from EC members on best ways to learn English

Moderator: EC

patron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Using AI bot to help with grammar

Post by patron »

Just a warning to learners that AI bots can often make mistakes when answering grammar questions. They are fine for simple questions, but often contradict themelves and give incorrect information. My tip is to check and double check and never to accept a bots answer as being 100% correct.
damefrank

Re: Using AI bot to help with grammar

Post by damefrank »

Totally agree with you. Alsoo they can answer the same question in different ways.
RegginaCk

Post by RegginaCk »

Agree. Also, they can mislead you, so don't blindly rely on the AI's answer.
Mr Greg
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Mr Greg »

I recommend my students to use AI as a pathway to information. Don't use it as the final destination/result.
patron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by patron »

You've obviously pasted this from a bot. Is human coversation soon going to be replaced by bots? I hope not. AI bots can never replace human interaction and a good old fashioned thing called teaching. Yes, they can give replies to simple English enquiries and questions; however, in some cases they feed off websites that are questionable.
The process of searching, comparing and verifying using reputable texts and websites is part of the learning process.AI bots like spell checkers and grammarly etc are fine as adjuncts to learning, but if you don't know why a word is spelt wrong or why your grammar was incorrect then you will learn nothing.
BrianStapleton

Post by BrianStapleton »

I saw a report recently that interviewed professors who note the dramatic increase in students using AI and turning it in as their work. The professors don't like it and they also think it is obvious. Once you've read thousands of essays you can tell which ones have a human voice and which are robotic almost instantly.
I teach 1-hour English classes online and correct essays with comments. Classes are ongoing, weekly, and flexible.
Contact me via private message to schedule a class.

https://youtube.com/@brianstapleton5148?feature=shared
Brave

Post by Brave »

Good post and good points.

I asked AI: 50 words. Is it ethical for students to hand in essays written by AI?

AI answered (innocently): Using AI to write essays and submitting them as one's own work is generally considered unethical because it constitutes plagiarism. Academic integrity policies in educational institutions require students to submit original work. Handing in AI-generated essays without proper attribution can violate these policies, leading to academic penalties.

I asked AI: 50 words. How can teachers detect AI-generated essays?

AI answered: Teachers can detect AI-generated essays by looking for overly formal language, lack of personal insight, inconsistencies in style, and content that doesn't fully align with the student's known abilities and previous work. Software tools can also help identify patterns typical of AI-generated text, aiding in detection.

Regardless of all this tomfoolery at the dawn of AI, Canute knew he could not stop the waves and so should we :)

So I asked AI: 50 words: What will be the position in 50 years?

AI answered: In 50 years, the stance on AI-generated essays may evolve with clear guidelines and innovative detection methods. AI's role in education could become more integrated and accepted, potentially with a focus on collaboration rather than prohibition, as educational paradigms shift to incorporate these advancements responsibly within learning and assessment processes.

AI is clearly a hopeless romanticist :twisted:
patron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by patron »

Yes, and they also hold the bias that their programmer has which is usually left leaning.
thislittlelife

Post by thislittlelife »

Yes, I agree. Sometimes using AI is misleading and grammatically error. You should check it and read thoroughly.
Mr Greg
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Mr Greg »

I use AI quite a lot and I would say there are very minor mistakes when it comes to grammar or spelling.

However relevancy on the topic is the issue. You have to be specific and read over what it has generated.
patron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by patron »

I disagree. I have found that it makes many mistakes. It's OK if you are asking simple/basic questions, but on the whole, anything that is more complex is not answered correctly. It also stifles analytical and creative thought, and I'm afraid to say it has become a lazy way, for some, to complete English assignments etc.Also, it fails to consider context and the nuances expressed in situational English. If it does provide a correct response, then it is important for the student to know why it's correct rather than "it is corrrect". My advice it to always question what AI states. This also applies to live teachers.