insomnia

This forum combines the former Food & Drink and Health & Fitness forums. Post your ideas here!

Moderator: EC

Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

insomnia

Post by Vega »

Hi. What should I do if I have insomnia? I'm waking up in the middle of the night and can't sleep. Have you ever faced with insomnia? :roll:
milococosiro

Post by milococosiro »

Yes, when I was in highschool and was preparing for university entrance examination but it lasted for a short time because I realized it's terrible for health, therefore, I force myself to follow a routine.

Most of people who suffer from insomnia use sleeping pills. Have you used them? I hope you haven't used much.

During the day, except a nap, don't sleep too much. The most important thing is you shouldn't stay up late day by day, and don't make your mind stressful. Because they really cause bad effects on your insomnia.
Some suggestions for you to adapt sleeping earlier habit: in the evening, before you go to bed, let's take a warm shower; after that, drink a glass of warm milk; then, read book or listen to gentle melodies till you feel asleep.
Good luck :D
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

Thanks a lot for an advice. ..:wink:
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

Xkalibur wrote:Thanks a lot for the advice. ..:wink:
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

How about doing some exercise in the evening so that you'll get tired at night?
jrkp
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: insomnia

Post by jrkp »

Xkalibur wrote:Hi. What should I do if I have insomnia? I'm waking up in the middle of the night and can't sleep. Have you ever faced with insomnia? :roll:
Yes, but only when I have a big problem and I can't find a solution.... Maybe you are in that situation. If that so, you need to find one, otherwise you will keep awaking in the middle of the night.....
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

Perhaps you should become a musician, Xkalibur. They are always awake in the middle of the night and for them it is OK! I have been known to stay up all night writing and recording songs till 5am for days in a row. I have to sleep during the day though.
sweets
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweets »

well it is not ur problem waking in midnight asking urself why iget up???????????

for my i think cuz. that ur sterss too much or something bothering u during the day so do not think about ur problems in the bed and be sure that in are not the bed unless u were really need to sleep :wink:

have a good sleep with sweet dreams :roll:

cheeeeeeeers
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

looking up in my books about hay diet (is it the right definition of a diet when you eat fats, proteins and carbohydrates separately :?: ) I remembered of you, Xkalibur... there was a tip against insomnia - beet-root juice mixed half with honey - they say it helps

I wonder will you bother with the cooking? :D
ERPS

Post by ERPS »

I got insomnia too, and sometimes once in a while... I agree with both diet and exercise solutions... maybe you're eating too much sugar and not releasing that energy properly. Or maybe you're not finishing something, I dunno, but you should try eating right and doing sports, also un-stressing yourself or the juice solution...
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

ERPS wrote: ...or the juice solution...

How does it work?

Very interesting.
hedwig14

Post by hedwig14 »

what kind of insomnia are you experiencing?
You may want to cut drinking caffeine-rich drinks especially at night. And also try to do some exercise. Be active. But if it won't work, it's best if you go see a professional. Insomnia can be deadly. We all need adequate amount of sleep. if it really bothers you, you should go see doctor. or maybe your anxious? try to loosen up and divert your attention to other things, i'm not saying you'd count sheeps.. ^__^
ashgore

Post by ashgore »

I experience insomnia from time to time myself, especially if I have something important the next day. I found a couple of solutions for insomnia. I generally don't agree with exercise or extreme diet changes, but reduced caffeine intake after night will sure help.

Here are my solutions:

1. Sleep around 10 or 11 pm.

Since you said you wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep. You should sleep late at night (around 10 or 11 pm), but not too late. This time I think is best for anyone to sleep; not to wake up in the middle of the night, and to wake up early in the morning. Our body is adjusted to a biological clock that is best active during the morning and least active during night. Try this sleep around 10 or 11 pm one night and wake up early, sometime you would notice that you don't even need to wait for your alarm. Also, try to sleep around 2 pm and you'll notice that you would probably not wake up until midday. Sleeping early; not too early, and not too late is your best bet.

2. Read part of a book or watch part of a movie.(Brain sleeps first)

Usually, when we go to sleep is most relevant to our exhausted brain, but not physical exhaustion through exercise. So, keeping your brain active by reading or focusing on a movie could eventually drain the energy from your brain and make you feel sleepy. Don't you remember how you feel sleepy and tired, when you start studying for an exam.

3. Eat and drink light, and reduce caffeine.

Eating and drinking light before you could go to bed is important. First you will not feel hungry or thirsty at night. On the other hand, too much food could make you feel and comfortable during night. Needless to say, this will help you develop a good-sized belly, like mine, but before.
Definitely reduce caffeine drinks like sodas, coffee, and tea those will keep your brain alert, which you don't want.

In summary: sleep, but not too early, eat light, and read something if you need. All this should help you have a deep sleep and wonderful dreams.
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: insomnia

Post by sweethuman »

Well insomnia is a disease and most of the people in the world are suffering from it. And it is increased furthermore when you have Television, Dish, DVD Players, Video games and Computer and internet access at home so you are always busy with them and when ever a human being mind is entertained so he cant sleep. However when you get bored so you feel sleepy. Secondly you can try sitting or lying in the dark which can help you fall a sleep.