today I have bought...

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

today I have bought...

Post by LadyMacbeth »

5 readers (levels from beginner to intermediate)
Here we go:
1. Mary Queen of Scots
2.Meet me in Istanbul
3. The Amazon Rain Forest
4. American Life
and last but not least:
5. The Phantom of the Opera (last week I was in operetta so I couldn't resist to buy this reader).

Now my question - which one should I start reading first?
Help me to choose - feel free :)

PS. When will I get my Nobel in literature?
:)

Which one should I start reading first?
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

hello:)

Post by LadyMacbeth »

Hmmm... I have already finished to read Mary Queen of Scots. It has always been confusing to me who is who.
I mean the difference between Mary Queen of Scots and Mary Tudor (step-sister of Elisabeth I). Now I won't do any mistake in this subject. Mary Tudor lost Calais and Mary Stuart lost... 2 kids.
Well... at last all three of them died.
I think stories of their lives are highly interesting :)

:idea: :idea: :idea:
lindalyl

Re: hello:)

Post by lindalyl »

You have the phanton of the opera??? This spring I was in Paris and I've saw the Opera (exterior only) and it was impresionant!! I wanna read this book, but at the moment I have a lot of things to do (exams, study, go out with my friends...)Now, if I will you ;P I will read the phanton of the opera ^^
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

5. The Phantom of the Opera

I like that mask, looks like Zorro
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

hi people:)

Post by LadyMacbeth »

Hehehe - for all those who are busy these nice series of READRES have been created (level 0,1,2,3,4,5,6).

By now I have started "Meet me in Istambul" (INTERMEDIATE level) and took out "Phanthom of the Opera" (ELEMENTARY LEVEL). I scanned through the Phantom and found out that its author (a Frenchman) when young spent about 1 million francs in 6 months (his father left him quite nice fortune in his will). I think the son must have been a very skilled guy, no doubt.

I will tell you more about my other observations after finishing my ...elementary reader. But to start with I have to notice that...at first sight it doesn't look elementary at all. Letters are big - no doubt but sentences don't differ much from those on intermediate level.
How to explain this strange phenomena?
Maybe someone marked the wrong level on the cover?
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
All in all this elementary book is bit cheaper than intermediate one. A great advantage of course.

As deals plot of "Meet me in Instabul"(till the moment I am in now ) boy and girl were supposed to meet each other there but the girl dissapeared. They say someone killed her few days earlier but her boyfriend claims he saw her on his way from airport to the hotel from one of bus windows walking along one of Instabul streets. It was the very day he came into this...big city.

Where the truth lies? Next chapters will tell it :)
The girl came there to start trading business. She was from London. She wanted to sell things from Instambul to Great Britain. They say she is daed now :(

Read me soon :)
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Ufffff I have finished my...drug story.

Post by LadyMacbeth »

Well...in fact the book happened to be about.. smuggling drugs in onyx lamp. Bad Turkish boss had imprisoned the poor girl from London in order to have things good to smuggle drugs to London inside them.
If her boyfriend hadn't seen her on the bus during first day he came to Istanbul she could have never been as happy as she was at the end of this breath taking story.

She had been announced to be dead by everyone cause Turks had simulated a car accident during which she died some days earlier. Her body burnt so much that noone could indetify the body...

But happy ending of course :)

And now - final conclusion - if the story happened to US people they would have taken DNA code and knew at once the burnt person wasn't the daughter of her perents.
But people in London aren't still rich enough to have such simple ideas even in the most clever books... :(

:roll: :roll: :roll:
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by LadyMacbeth »

to finish the story of MEET ME IN INSTANBUL once and forever I have to say that her friend helped her boyfriend very much and that the boyfriend was helped by another Turk whom he had met on the plane.

There were some sudden and unexpected turnings of action within the book. One time the main hero was sitting in the airport and everyone was sure he flew away but he didn't do it. Another time he had false beard and a wig (he was traced).

Hmmm... that's rather all (excuse me my language mistakes here) unless... oh yes- important information - people in British Consulate in Instanbul didn't care that the boyfriend saw the missing girl. They believed the version told to them by Turkish police... well - in my opinion it is very important information ...:( :( :(
This world is full of very lazy people as we can read...:( :( :(
But think positively please:)
:)
LM
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

ps. correction of some mistakes

Post by LadyMacbeth »

onyx lamps (cause there were plenty of lamps to export of course). They were broken into two halves and drugs were put inside them :(
Read more about onyx:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onyx