how could we read books most effectively?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

pencil

how could we read books most effectively?

Post by pencil »

Hi everyone,
we have discussed much about aspects of reading book such as why you should read books, what is the latest book you have read recently, who your favourite author is, etc.
but how could you read books most effectively?
let´s share your own experiences, techniques or methodes of reading in order that everybody could consult and discuss with.
Pencil
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Read it slow and enjoy what you read.... :?
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

I heard that slow reading actually makes it harder for the brain to understand the book. I'm not sure if that's true though because it seems that if we read slow and carefully we get everything and when we do it in a rush then we might miss out something...But I guess that the most effective reading is the one when you can distinguish the less importnat stuff from those which are essential. Also fast reading sounds like a good solution too because you can save time and read more books instead of just being stuck with one for hours and hours...
Rach
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rach »

illusion wrote:I heard that slow reading actually makes it harder for the brain to understand the book.
As far as I remember this has something to do with the subconscious, even if we don't understand or miss out something, it stays somewhere back in a drawer of our heads, and by reading it a second and third time, it gets more and more conscious.
But I guess that the most effective reading is the one when you can distinguish the less importnat stuff from those which are essential.
Yeah, for me personally that's the most challenging point about it :shock:, that's why I choose the books very carefully that I want to read. Classics for example, it's really interesting to read them of course, but I don't think it's very useful to read too much of them if you want to learn a language. By reading them you adopt automatically the old language, and it's very hard for me to distinguish whether it's still spoken language or old-fashioned. "All in a sudden" or "in a jiffy" for example, I have no idea if this is spoken language, but in books they use it very often. But I like the second one anyway, it sounds so funny :lol:
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

I think the important thing is you enjoy the book. If you have no interest with it, you can't understand or feel everything even though you finish it. Slow or fast reading really doesn't matter. If you pretty like the book, you'll be eager to go to the end. If I enjoy a book, I'll spend all time on it and wish the book would be longer.

Another thing is you must have your own idea about the book when you finish reading.

_Arale_
pencil

Post by pencil »

illusion wrote:I heard that slow reading actually makes it harder for the brain to understand the book.
discussing about being supposed to reading a book slowly or fast, my teacher at highschool once regarded a low read as a prevention to continous think. she added that we would forget what we have just read if we turned over with quite a low speed.

is it a real matter to understand if we slowly read a book?
Seafarer
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Seafarer »

I cannot tell anything scientific about how to read a book effectively. I am opposed to those kinds of restrictions and techniques.One should read a book with his or her soul.Nothing more
mannyarvel

Post by mannyarvel »

How you all mke the good english?

I untimiteted much on ths site.

I try and kep up.
ilargia

Post by ilargia »

Some years ago when I was reading a tedious book I tried to continue it to the end because I considered that if I didn´t finish it I wouldn´t be able to understand the message. Nowadays I really choose the books by the topic, by the author or simply if the reading is boried I choose other one. Simply.