Totto Chan - the little girl at the window

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Totto Chan - the little girl at the window

Post by Arale »

I read this story (by Tetsuko Kuroyanagy) quite long ago and now I'm rereading it. It's really a great story about childhood. I wished to be studied in a school like Totto Chan's - an old rail cars, where children were inspired to explore everything in their own world, learn everything they were curious about...They even were encouraged to play, have joy and show their feelings. The world of Totto Chan is so pure, innocent and colourful. I extremely like her head master, who made Totto Chan's dreams and her classmates' come true. Reading the story again, I've found something precious and special in childhood which I thought to be lost.

Though I haven't found any free web of the story but the following is a very nice article writing about the story, or more exactly, about the greatest way to educate children. I bet it's worth reading.

Children - their dreams are larger than ours

_Arale_
quicksilver
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by quicksilver »

I also read this book( Totto Chan cô bé bên khung cửa) . This is a book for children , for their wonderful world , but the implication that author wanted to say toward adult .The world we enter is so ideal! The world in which children can improve their imagination, can do anything they want . In the world of Totto Chan's head master( extraordinary man, Sosaku Kobayashi ), she wouldn't fear anymore .There's no sorrow , just happiness of children .The circumstance is in the ideal school during the World War 2 that combined learning with fun, freedom and love.
Nowaday, i think this is a dreamy school of millions of children in the world .
Mrs Tetsuko Kuroyanagy came to Vietnam to do her charity , and im dead sure that you also saw her pictures with Vietnamese children .A friendly woman with a sentimental soul. :)
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

quicksilver wrote:I also read this book( Totto Chan cô bé bên khung cửa) . This is a book for children , for their wonderful world , but the implication that author wanted to say toward adult .The world we enter is so ideal! The world in which children can improve their imagination, can do anything they want . In the world of Totto Chan's head master( extraordinary man, Sosaku Kobayashi ), she wouldn't fear anymore .There's no sorrow , just happiness of children .The circumstance is in the ideal school during the World War 2 that combined learning with fun, freedom and love.
Nowaday, i think this is a dreamy school of millions of children in the world .
Mrs Tetsuko Kuroyanagy came to Vietnam to do her charity , and im dead sure that you also saw her pictures with Vietnamese children .A friendly woman with a sentimental soul. :)
And what made me really interested in the story is Tetsuko Kuroyanagy wrote about her childhood. Everything in the story is true. I don't think we have such a school now, which is a pity. Though the school of Totto Chan wasn't really a school. It was an old rail cars, but not because of that, the children there couldn't continue their study. On the other hand, they were living in a wonderful education environment. They were taught by sympathetic and understanding teachers. They could develope all their abilities in that special school. Totto Chan's mother is also a great Mom. Anyway, thanks for your site. :wink:

_Arale_