What is the latest book you have read recently?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

shokin wrote:The last book I've read is in english (despite I my mother tongue is french) : Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows !

Shokin
same here, Shokin :)
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

I'm reading 'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova. I remember Dixie recommended it some time ago and ever since that moment I wanted to read it but never really had time for it, so maybe I will now...;))
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

illusion wrote:I'm reading 'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova. I remember Dixie recommended it some time ago and ever since that moment I wanted to read it but never really had time for it, so maybe I will now...;))
YAY!!! Talk about it on the specific thread when you're done ;)
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

Dixie wrote:
illusion wrote:I'm reading 'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova. I remember Dixie recommended it some time ago and ever since that moment I wanted to read it but never really had time for it, so maybe I will now...;))
YAY!!! Talk about it on the specific thread when you're done ;)
sure :) but it'll take a while to finish it...
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Cypress »

I finished reading When I was Puerto Rican by Puerto Rican/American author Esmeralda Santiago. The author came to America when she was 13, and in this book she reveals her memories of living in Puerto Rico and then in New York.
I first learned about Santiago from my Spanish textbook. From the article there, I got an impression that she is a great Latina author, so when I came across this book, I got very excited. However, I was kind of disappointed by the author revealing the “naked moments” of her life. What I liked about the book, nevertheless, was that even though she wrote it in English, she used a lot of Spanish words. I think it made her writing more vivid especially when she described life in Puerto Rico.
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

The latest book I read was "Sea-wolf" by Jack London and I'm disappointed. I didn't want Jack London to be that romantic when I was picking up a book with such a title... you know I expected rough story about sailing, harsh days on the board of the ship, fur seal hunting, maybe some battles, but then a woman ( :evil: ) climbed the rope and caught the narrator's eye...
I have heard about Patrick O'Brian - an English novelist. I wonder if there any women characters in his novels :lol: I want to read a nice sample about adventures and true men and NO WOMEN CHARACTRERS :lol:
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Cypress »

Tora wrote:The latest book I read was "Sea-wolf" by Jack London and I'm disappointed. I didn't want Jack London to be that romantic when I was picking up a book with such a title... you know I expected rough story about sailing, harsh days on the board of the ship, fur seal hunting, maybe some battles, but then a woman ( :evil: ) climbed the rope and caught the narrator's eye...
I have heard about Patrick O'Brian - an English novelist. I wonder if there any women characters in his novels :lol: I want to read a nice sample about adventures and true men and NO WOMEN CHARACTRERS :lol:
I really like Jack London’s books; my favorite one is Martin Eden. This fall I plan to visit the place where he lived and the little cottage where he passed away.
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Agree! I adore the way he writes - easy-going and fascinating, I love his short stories and "Smoke Bellew" novel, but this very moment I wanted to read something romance-excluding and made a mistake :(

I haven't read Martin Eden yet but watched a theatre play on TV and liked it a lot :wink:
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Philip Roth American Pastoral

And I may say it's one of the best modern novels I have read recently

Aye, Aye! Finally I have finished reading Moby-Dick novel!!! It's lasted for 6 months! Now I'm starting Charles Dickens "David Copperfield" - a book I was beginning to read for several times and found boring. After Melville Dickens seems to be so easy-to-read and fascinating :lol:
CityYoung
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by CityYoung »

by the river Piedra i sat down and wept . by Paulo coelho .
this book reflects all the mysteries of love and life .
so interesting book . :wink:
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

I successfully finished Dickens and also Robert Penn Warren, I was wondering is someone have read "Vanity Fair"? I'm curious if the language is possible for such a reader as me? probably in comparison to Dickens, as I'm thinking of picking up Tekkerey next :roll: thanks in advance
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

OPUS DEI
By: John L. Allen, Jr.

An educational book. I learned a lot from this.
Last edited by Krisi on Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Tora wrote:I successfully finished Dickens and also Robert Penn Warren, I was wondering is someone have read "Vanity Fair"? I'm curious if the language is possible for such a reader as me? probably in comparison to Dickens, as I'm thinking of picking up Tekkerey next :roll: thanks in advance
I have it, but I haven't read it yet :roll:
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Dixie wrote:
Tora wrote:I successfully finished Dickens and also Robert Penn Warren, I was wondering is someone have read "Vanity Fair"? I'm curious if the language is possible for such a reader as me? probably in comparison to Dickens, as I'm thinking of picking up Tekkerey next :roll: thanks in advance
I have it, but I haven't read it yet :roll:
So I'll tell you when I finish :wink:
**Elena**
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by **Elena** »

Hello!
Now I am reading Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Memoirs of a Geisha tells the fictional story of Chiyo, a young Japanese girl, whose family, unable to support her, sell her to a geisha house in the city of Kyoto during the 1930s. A geisha is a professional female companion for men in Japan, trained in music, dancing, and the art of conversation. The geisha training is a life of virtual slavery, and Chiyo finds herself working as maid to a malevolent geisha called Hatsumomo who, jealous of Chiyo' beauty, makes her life utterly miserable. One day, as Chiyo weeps by a stream in the city, a wealthy man stops and comforts her. Chiyo, deeply moved by the man' kindness, knows that she will never forget him. Two years later, a geisha called Mameha, as kind as Hatsumomo is cruel, takes Chiyo under her wing. Chiyo, now renamed Sayuri, becomes a successful geisha, renowned for her beauty. Then one day she meets the man who had comforted her by the stream. But life does not run smoothly for Sayuri and there are powerful obstacles that prevent the two from coming together ...

And here the first chapter of this novel :D
Maybe it will be interesting for someone :D
http://michelleyeoh.info/Movie/Mg/Book/geisha_ch1.html
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

**Elena** wrote:Hello!

Memoirs of a Geisha tells the fictional story of Chiyo, a young Japanese girl, whose family, unable to support her, sell her to a geisha house in the city of Kyoto during the 1930s. A geisha is a professional female companion for men in Japan, trained in music, dancing, and the art of conversation. The geisha training is a life of virtual slavery, and Chiyo finds herself working as maid to a malevolent geisha called Hatsumomo who, jealous of Chiyo' beauty, makes her life utterly miserable. One day, as Chiyo weeps by a stream in the city, a wealthy man stops and comforts her. Chiyo, deeply moved by the man' kindness, knows that she will never forget him. Two years later, a geisha called Mameha, as kind as Hatsumomo is cruel, takes Chiyo under her wing. Chiyo, now renamed Sayuri, becomes a successful geisha, renowned for her beauty. Then one day she meets the man who had comforted her by the stream. But life does not run smoothly for Sayuri and there are powerful obstacles that prevent the two from coming together ...

I read it last year and absolutely loved it. The movie is nothing compared to the novel, as always. I think we had a thread about the book, Elena.
**Elena**
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by **Elena** »

Dixie wrote:
**Elena** wrote:Hello!

I read it last year and absolutely loved it. The movie is nothing compared to the novel, as always. I think we had a thread about the book, Elena.
Hello Dixie, yes. I do agree with you no comparison with a movie. I just finished to read a first chapter and have already understood it!
Melek
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Melek »

PAULO KOELO 'ALCHEMIST"
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

melek wrote:PAULO KOELO 'ALCHEMIST"
A true jewel. Love it.
Melek
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Melek »

Dixie wrote:
melek wrote:PAULO KOELO 'ALCHEMIST"
A true jewel. Love it.

yes,I have read plenty of books,but not like that..it's something.both love,both life,both treasure.the main finding the GENERAL LANGUAGE & real treasure LOVE.I liked it very much
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Melek, after The Alchemist, I am trying to get all of Coelho's books. I've got a few now, and they are all amazing. So, if you get the chance, try to read any other of his books. I'm sure they won't disappoint you.
Melek
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Melek »

Dixie wrote:Melek, after The Alchemist, I am trying to get all of Coelho's books. I've got a few now, and they are all amazing. So, if you get the chance, try to read any other of his books. I'm sure they won't disappoint you.

thx,a lot ,Dixie! I'll try
ashgore

Post by ashgore »

I recently read Shataram (non-fiction), which means man of peace in Hindi. It was written by Gregory David Roberts. A personal story about his own life encounters. He fled to India, after being sentenced to 13 years in prison in Australia for committing a series of armed robberies. The story predominantly revolves around his life in Bombay. There he lived in the slums, worked as a doctor for slum-dwellers, became a counterfeiter, smuggler, fell in love, addiction, and much more.

Every time I read this book, it kept me thirsty for more. Lately, I learned that it's being made into a movie with actor Johnny Depp.
Melek
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Melek »

SIDNEY SHELDON 'RAGE OF ANGELS'
xqama

Post by xqama »

The lastest book i read is "Harry Potter". Now, I am 19 years old. And I began to read "Harry Potter" in 7 years ago. It attracts me. I love the characters in the story: Harry, Hermione, Ron, Neville, Fred, Goegre.... They are so fun, brave... And I realize that:"Love is the power". Now, the story ends but I think it became part of my life... :D
Melek
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Melek »

Ive recently finished 'briefly about Britain"
vinhtruong

Post by vinhtruong »

I have finished "if you weren't a dream" a Mc LEvil's Book. Any body read it? I have plan to read the part II of this book, "Meeting again".
Saku
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Saku »

vinhtruong wrote:I have finished "if you weren't a dream" a Mc LEvil's Book. Any body read it? I have plan to read the part II of this book, "Meeting again".
Hello Vinh Truong, I read this novel already. You should read the second part. It's really romantic. It's one of my favorite books. Always believe in love, even it might just like a dream. That's what I've learnt from Levil's story.
Saku
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Saku »

By the way, I've just finished the book 'Digital Fort' by Dan Brown. It's good but I prefer his 'Da Vinci Code' more. 'Digital Fort' didn't give me any impression left when I finished it.
vinhtruong

Post by vinhtruong »

Saku wrote:By the way, I've just finished the book 'Digital Fort' by Dan Brown. It's good but I prefer his 'Da Vinci Code' more. 'Digital Fort' didn't give me any impression left when I finished it.
Danbrow is a great writter. I want to read all his novels. 'Da Vinci Code' is the best book I've ever read.
Melek
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Melek »

I've recently finished George Eliot-the mill on the Floss
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Post by Tora »

Some time ago I read "Dubliners" after James Joyce. It impressed me loads. I remember some of you guys talking about his book and author but can't remember who in particular... :wink:

It is a marvellous edition telling about his life and the book's fate in our country, imagine a translator was sent to concentration camp for doing his job...
The book has left such a deep feeling of desolation and endless melancholy in me.
funnyclick

Post by funnyclick »

The last book I've read is " The little Prince". Like its introductrory, it's a book about children but it was written for adults because they will find themselves in every stories told by that little prince. The author Saint - Exupéry, a writer and a pilot, gave me a meaningful story, which made me burst into tears when reading the ending.
**Elena**
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by **Elena** »

I am reading now "Of mice and men" by Steinbeck

It the compelling story of two outsiders striving to find their place in an unforgiving world.
Drifters in search of work, George and his simple-minded friend Lennie. have nothing in the world except each other and a dream - a dream that one day they will have some land of their own. Eventually they find work on a ranch in California's Salinas Valley, but their hopes are doomed as Lennie, struggling against extreme cruelty, misunderstanding and feelings of jealousy, becomes a victim of his own strength. Tackling universal themes; friendship and a shared vision, and giving voice to America's lonely and dispossessed, of Mice and men has proved one of Steinbeck's most popular works, achieving success as a novel, a Broadway play and three acclaimed films.
Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

"The Little Prince"... I have to write an essay about it. I don't like reading personally but sometimes I feel attracted to the art of reading and well, the miracle appears, lol. I am not bad at all, lol 8)
lacivert

Post by lacivert »

I've recently finished "the Infınıte light" by M.Fethullah Gülen.It's about prophet mohammed(s.a.s).
lacivert

Post by lacivert »

to tell the aouthor I found ana article about him.

Muslim world in transition: Contributions of the Gülen Movement

A conference was held in London on Oct. 25-27 to discuss contributions of the Gülen movement, led by Fethullah Gülen. This conference was launched at the House of Lords and was attended by several members of parliament, lords, baronesses, newspaper editors, academics, dignitaries and high-ranking civil servants.
The conference's main theme centered on the Gülen movement's actual and potential positive contribution to transition in the Muslim world vis-à-vis education and dialogue for a lasting peace, democracy, peaceful coexistence and human rights.
The conference proceedings book has already been published by the Leeds Metropolitan University Press and describes the movement as a leading movement in contemporary Turkey with a universal educational and interfaith agenda that aims to promote creative and constructive positions on issues such as democracy, multiculturalism, globalization and interfaith dialogue in the context of secular modernity.

As promised in the preface of the book, Gülen's re-reading of religious texts in the context of a renewal and re-interpretation of Islam that can take part in the building of a fully humane society in Europe also featured in the deliberations of the conference.

Many presenters underlined that the Gülen movement is renewing Islamic discourse and practices in tune with contemporary times without boasting that it is doing so. Many of the movement's activities in the Muslim world were elaborated on in detail from an academic perspective for the first time. Some papers argued that Gülen's understanding of Anatolian Muslimness and his tajdid (renewal) can be transferred with some contextual modifications to other parts of the Muslim world as well as to Muslims living in the West.

The conference was not without criticism. E-mails were sent to members of the editorial board asking them to call off the conference, labeling the Gülen movement an extension of the imperialist West and a project of moderate Islam fashioned by the US that seeks to destroy democracy in Turkey, etc.

Many scholars who participated in the conference commented about how they were surprised to see that the author(s) of these e-mails naively expected serious scholars to believe these groundless and unsubstantiated accusations, adding that these e-mails helped them understand Turkey more in terms of the old elite's adamant, but desperate, fight against the prospects of open society.

Many papers agreed that Gülen is a contemporary Mevlana Celaladdin Rumi. It is no coincidence that Rumi -- like Gülen -- was also misunderstood by some in his lifetime. Some reactionary conservatives in Rumi's time criticized him harshly because he was open to "the other" and accepted everyone as they were. Some even claimed that Rumi was not a Muslim at all while others claimed that he was a spy of the occupying Mongols. Some even suggested that Rumi was after political power. Looking in retrospect, it is crystal clear how odd these accusations really are.

Coming from and continuing in the same tradition, it is not surprising then that Gülen faces similar odd accusations directed at him by those who see the world from a narrow perspective. Likewise, sharing the same fate with Rumi makes Gülen a Rumi of this age.

Turkish people love fethullah gülen beause of his teachings.he is both seyyid and serif.also he is the founder of Turk collges in the world.And in his book " Infinite Light" he tells the perfect life of our prophet muhammed and his sahabes very beautifully.
faithfulman

Post by faithfulman »

I've recently finished "planet des singes" by pierre boulle
lacivert

Post by lacivert »

Dear Rasheed

Thank you for your concern,

I also have a Norsie collection and finished some of them for ex. "the words" is very good at explaining matters about faith in islam

BYthe way,I want to visit Omayyad Mosque one day..
BenM

Post by BenM »

The Alchamist I loved it. It was so great with it's lessons involved within the story
Wong

Post by Wong »

I am now reading"THE ALCHEMIST"
gvantsa

Post by gvantsa »

the latest book i've read is "Impatience Of Heart" by Zveig

sorry,i'm not sure if i have written the author and the name of book correctly :?

correct it,please,if you can :)
togather we stand,divided we fall.........

laa laaa laaaaaa........

: )))))
Melek
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Melek »

ALCHEMY-a form of chemistry studied in the Middle Ages which involved trying to discover how to change ordinary meatls into gold
CHEMISTRY-the scientific study of the structure of substances,how they react when combined etc.

p.s.ALCHEMIST is really very interesting book.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I'm about to finish John Grisham's Playing for Pizza. Gosh, what a bore! One of the two books I bought last month in England turned out to be not worth it! :( My first book of this year... Ouch!

Can't wait to finish and start World Without End.
aPeace

Re: pg

Post by aPeace »

the latest book I have read is Le père Goriot , by HONORE de BALZAC . ( French)

It's a fantastic story about a father and his two daughters .
nancywu

Post by nancywu »

oh my god, after graduation in july, 2007, i haven't read any book. maybe it is time for me to read someone now.
Melek
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Melek »

Rasheed wrote:
melek wrote:ALCHEMY-a form of chemistry studied in the Middle Ages which involved trying to discover how to change ordinary meatls into gold
CHEMISTRY-the scientific study of the structure of substances,how they react when combined etc.

p.s.ALCHEMIST is really very interesting book.
thanks melek

welcome,always ready to help
Melek
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Melek »

I am about to finish 'Ali & Nino" by Kurban Said.very interesting love novel :)
thuyhanoi

Post by thuyhanoi »

"chicken soup for the soul" is the nearest book that i have read recently . so i think this book is very fine . it share more experience of life, save a life ...
it can a gift for you on the holiday . :wink:
everyone should read the book ^^
the authors are Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen.
Let's read :P
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

thuyhanoi wrote:"chicken soup for the soul" is the nearest book that i have read recently . so i think this book is very fine . it share more experience of life, save a life ...
it can a gift for you on the holiday . :wink:
everyone should read the book ^^
the authors are Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen.
Let's read :P
I have heard a lot about this book. I am sure it will end up in my personal collection :mrgreen: