Confusion about the word order in english

English grammar questions, answered by Alan

Moderator: Alan

tayyarecişevki

Confusion about the word order in english

Post by tayyarecişevki »

Imagine that one of my friends tried to teach me about something at school for almost two hours ,but at that time ı did not understand. One day after this incident, ı quickly understood what one of my friends tried to teach me after learning about another method .
1) ı understood what you tried to teach me at school for almost two hours quickly after learning about another method.
I think that ı is the subjevt of the sentence and that understood is the main verb of the sentence and that what you tried to teach me at school for almost two hours is direct object of the main verb understood also direct object is noun clause and that qucikly is the adverb which modifies the main verb understood and that after learning about another method is the adverb of time which modifies the main verb understood.
I hope it is clear to you.
What ı want to learn is if the direct object of the sentence is noun clause and if we want to use some adverbial phrases after the noun clause then is it possible for adverbial phrases to modifies noun clause if so, how can ı make difference between them .
Thanks in advance,
Alan
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Re: Confusion about the word order in english

Post by Alan »

Yes, a noun clause can (as here) function as an object, and yes, it can be modified by adverbial phrases that follow it.

The referent of any adverbial will, as always, be determined primarily by sense/context rather than by simple sentence position.