Alternative Meaning of Defenestration

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

homerfarmsby

Alternative Meaning of Defenestration

Post by homerfarmsby »

Based on the following examples, can the word "defenestrate" mean "to defeat" in a competition, especially a sporting event? I know that it literally means "to throw out of a window," and, metaphorically, "to get rid of; pink-slip; fire," as in: "The company defenestrated middle management."

Research completed: The following are excerpts from the internet. So can "defenestrate" also mean, in a broader and metaphorical sense, ”to beat; to defeat"? Yes or no?

And have you ever heard it used in sentences like the ones below?

Eagles Defenestrate Royals, 112-76.

England are up and running in the Rugby League World Cup, defenestrating a hapless Ireland, the final score an embarrassing 42-0.

Taylor says even without Bumrah, India has a fiery pace line-up to defenestrate Australia.

But then came Saturday's 40-13 defenestration against Central Florida, in which the Knights scored 34 straight points and Tigers quarterback Riley Ferguson threw three interceptions and lost a fumble.

When England defenestrated India 4-0 last year, it seemed like this return series would be their final frontier.

Requiring only a draw to ensure safety in their last match at fellow relegation strugglers Sheffield Wednesday, they were defenestrated 6-0.

Raffensperger's outright victory was the piece de resistance in this unceremonious defenestration.

England had their window of opportunity against Australia and defenestrated the Wallabies, but Milloud-Ibanez-De Villiers are a different proposition

Rivers defenestrated Gomez with an uppercut in the third round.
homerfarmsby

Re: Alternative Meaning of Defenestration

Post by homerfarmsby »

Anybody, please.
Firefoxjo

Re: Alternative Meaning of Defenestration

Post by Firefoxjo »

Personally, no. But then I don't read sports pages. Given that one dictionary definition of defenestrate is "remove from a position of power" it seems reasonably used by extension in many of the examples you give. On the other hand, it would seem more appropriately used in a circumstance such as "they were relegated to the bottom league" rather than just "he lost the fight" :mrgreen:

Personally, my only encounter with this verb has been when used (usually humorously) to mean "throw out of a window".

Just my two cents. Hope it helps.