What does the red mean?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

zzpsx

What does the red mean?

Post by zzpsx »

Bob Pratt likes to help his mom and dad by bringing in the packages delivered to their Oak Park, Illinois, home.
It's kind of his thing.
But the 4-year-old bit off more than he could chew last week when their UPS driver dropped off a new hammock on the family's front porch.
His mom, Mary Pratt, told CNN that she was just up the stairs with Bob's 2-year-old sister on Saturday when she heard the boy yell for help as he was pinned under the large box.
She said driver Marco Smith raced from his truck back to the house in the time it took her to get downstairs.
Pratt didn't know exactly what happened until she looked at the video from her Ring doorbell camera.
It showed 40-pound Bob struggling to move the 97-pound box that towered over him until it fell over onto him.
In the background, Smith is walking back to his UPS truck. When Bob yells for help, Smith sprints back across the street, which is usually pretty busy, and lifts the box off the boy.
"He didn't even look when he came back for traffic," Pratt said. "He just heard him scream, 'Help' and booked it."
Smith told CNN affiliate WBBM that he knew something was wrong when the box started tilting and started running.
"I pictured my boys in his situation, obviously, and you go into full parent mode, full dad mode," Smith told WBBM.
Pratt said Smith made sure Bob was OK and then helped her get the package inside.
"I went to get the package and he was like, 'No, no, no. I'm taking it inside for you. Where do you want me to put it?'" Pratt said. "He was so nice."
Pratt said Bob, who turns 5 next month, wasn't hurt. Bob told CNN he felt a little "ouchie."
"I think he just saw all four years of his life flash before his eyes more than anything," she said.
She said she's grateful to Smith and hopes that UPS gives him a bonus or makes him employee of the month. Bob calls him "The Package Man" and said he's nice.
Pratt said they've talked with Bob about not going to the door alone and reminded him to get help from mom or dad when the package is too big.
She said it hasn't slowed him down at all.
"Oh my gosh, he wants to do everything. Which is good," she said. "I'm all about independence, but safety too. It's a balance."
One thing Bob is very clear about is that he does not like that hammock.
"I told her not to get it," he said. "I've already fallen out of it three times."
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/23/us/u ... index.html

Who does my boys refer to?
darcy
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: What does the red mean?

Post by darcy »

'my boys' refers to Smith's sons.
'I pictured my boys in his situation.' means 'I imagined my own children in his situation'.
zzpsx

Post by zzpsx »

Thanks, and what does the last red sentence mean?
darcy
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by darcy »

One thing Bob is very clear about is that he does not like that hammock.
"I told her not to get it," he said. "I've already fallen out of it three times."
The red bit means 5-year-old Bob had told his mum not to buy the hammock (because he didn't think it would be good). And he was right: he has tried the hammock and fallen out of it three times.
zzpsx

Post by zzpsx »

Thanks,one more question
"Oh my gosh, he wants to do everything. Which is good,

I think this should be :
Oh my gosh, he wants to do everything, which is good,
darcy
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by darcy »

Yes, the relative pronoun 'which' would typically follow a comma, not a full stop. However, writers sometimes use a full stop to indicate a longer pause followed by a new idea or afterthought. Pronouns can be the subject of a sentence, so this is not incorrect.
zzpsx

Post by zzpsx »

"He didn't even look when he came back for traffic," Pratt said. "He just heard him scream, 'Help' and booked it."

What does the red one mean?
darcy
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by darcy »

'book it' is a U.S. slang phrase meaning 'move quickly'. So this sentence means he moved quickly when the boy screamed "Help!"