place of adjective

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

sepidsabazan

place of adjective

Post by sepidsabazan »

hi, could you tell me please which one is correct?
necessary omissions or additions?
or
omissions or additions necessary?
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: place of adjective

Post by Joe »

sepidsabazan wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:47 pm hi, could you tell me please which one is correct?
necessary omissions or additions?
or
omissions or additions necessary?
Please supply the full sentence. At the moment, without context, both are possible, especially as you have a question mark.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
sepidsabazan

Post by sepidsabazan »

This is the full paragraph :
“Intralingual” translation, manifesting itself in different types, is not limited only to the transmission of linguistic signs, it is also subject to cultural changes, omissions or additions necessary according to the social conditions of the target community.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

sepidsabazan wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:06 pm This is the full paragraph :
“Intralingual” translation, manifesting itself in different types, is not limited only to the transmission of linguistic signs, it is also subject to cultural changes, omissions or additions necessary according to the social conditions of the target community.
“Intralingual” translation, manifesting itself in different types, is not limited only to the transmission of linguistic signs, it is also subject to cultural changes, omissions or additions necessary according to the social conditions of the target community. :ok:

In this context the wording is correct as written.

Note that you omitted cultural changes in your original question:
cultural changes, omissions or additions
They are all potentially necessary according to the social conditions...

That at least is my understanding of the sentence as it is written.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
sepidsabazan

Post by sepidsabazan »

Thank you so much for your help Mr. Joe.
Could you explain please why the adjective comes after names while in English grammar the place of adjective is before the name?
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

sepidsabazan wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:48 am Thank you so much for your help Mr. Joe.
Could you explain please why the adjective comes after names while in English grammar the place of adjective is before the name?
I think there's a little bit of ellipsis going on here. The real meaning, without ellipsis, is:
...subject to cultural changes, omissions or additions [that are] necessary according to the social conditions...

Btw, in English those are nouns, not names (changes, omissions, additions):
https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/nouns.htm
I believe in French they may be called names (noms), and perhaps in other languages too. :mrgreen:

sepidsabazan

Post by sepidsabazan »

I got it. Thank you very much.