Word Usage - Subordinate (Verb)

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Woaini

Word Usage - Subordinate (Verb)

Post by Woaini »

Hi all, I'm new to this forum.
My question is I wonder if my interpretation on the following context was correct.

Context: Michelle is the Head of Sales Department, she is subordinated by 2 assistant.

Can I take the word "subordinated by" above to mean assisted by, flanked by, aided by which was contradictory to the dictionary meaning of "to put in less important position"?

Appreciate your feedback.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: Word Usage - Subordinate (Verb)

Post by Joe »

Woaini wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:15 am Hi all, I'm new to this forum.
My question is I wonder if my interpretation on the following context was correct.

Context: Michelle is the Head of Sales Department, she is subordinated by 2 assistants.

Can I take the word "subordinated by" above to mean assisted by, flanked by, aided by which was contradictory to the dictionary meaning of "to put in less important position"?

Appreciate your feedback.
It doesn't seem to be correct usage of "subordinated by". Technically, it means that Michelle is regarded as less important than the two assistants.

In normal circumstances assistants would be subordinate TO a head.

But hey, this is 2021.

The writer perhaps means:

- Michelle is the Head of the Sales Department; she is aided by two assistants.
- Michelle is the Head of the Sales Department; she has two assistants.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven