meaning of (has continued to do so until now)

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

ansonman
Rising Star
Rising Star

meaning of (has continued to do so until now)

Post by ansonman »

I have made up the example below.

(ex) Jack started writing his first novel last year and has continued to do so until now.

None of my friends are native English speakers. They all think that the present present talks about an event in the past leading up to the present. However, in this sentence, they interpret it in two ways. Their first interpretation is - He continues to work on it now. Their second interpretation is - He finished it recently.

What is your opinion? Thank you very much.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: meaning of (has continued to do so until now)

Post by Joe »

ansonman wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:36 pm I have made up the example below.

(ex) Jack started writing his first novel last year and has continued to do so until now.

None of my friends are native English speakers. They all think that the present present talks about an event in the past leading up to the present. However, in this sentence, they interpret it in two ways. Their first interpretation is - He continues to work on it now. Their second interpretation is - He finished it recently.

To be honest, my first reaction is that Jack has continued to START writing his first novel until now. That means he still hasn't finished starting :mrgreen:

I THINK you mean:

Jack started writing his first novel last year and has continued to write it until now.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

Joe wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:08 pm

To be honest, my first reaction is that Jack has continued to START writing his first novel until now. That means he still hasn't finished starting :mrgreen:

I THINK you mean:

Jack started writing his first novel last year and has continued to write it until now.

In this scenario we don't know whether he has finished or not, but probably not.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

To be honest, my first reaction is that Jack has continued to START writing his first novel until now. That means he still hasn't finished STARTING :mrgreen:

I THINK you mean:

Jack started writing his first novel last year and has continued writing it until now.

In this scenario we don't know whether he has finished or not, but probably not.