prepositions [from/in] the Psychology Department and [in] Psychology

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

ansonman
Rising Star
Rising Star

prepositions [from/in] the Psychology Department and [in] Psychology

Post by ansonman »

I have made up the scenario below.

Suppose that you are a substitute teacher at a college. You have been booked to cover for an instructor today. The security office keeps all classroom keys. You are now talking to a security guard.

(1) Excuse me. Good morning. My name is Jack Brown. I'm a substitute teacher in the Psychology Department. May I borrow the key for my classroom? Thank you.
(2) ...... I'm a substitute teacher from the Psychology Department.
(3) ..... I'm a substitute teacher in Psychology.

Last week, I talked to my friends about my scenario. None of them speaks English as the native language. They all agree that (1) and (3) are correct and (2) is wrong.

In my opinion, all of my versions are correct. What is your opinion? Thank you very much for your time and help.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: prepositions [from/in] the Psychology Department and [in] Psychology

Post by Joe »

ansonman wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:52 pm I have made up the scenario below.

Suppose that you are a substitute teacher at a college. You have been booked to cover for an instructor today. The security office keeps all classroom keys. You are now talking to a security guard.

(1) Excuse me. Good morning. My name is Jack Brown. I'm a substitute teacher in the Psychology Department. May I borrow the key for my classroom? Thank you.

Last week, I talked to my friends about my scenario. None of them speaks English as the native language. They all agree that (1) and (3) are correct and (2) is wrong.

In my opinion, all of my versions are correct. What is your opinion? Thank you very much for your time and help.
If you want people to help you, it's a really bad idea to start using short cuts. Could you please spell out the three examples in full...

Happy to help then :mrgreen:
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

Now that you force me to spend time looking at your dilemma more carefully, the answer is:

I'm a substitute teacher FOR the Psychology Department

But almost any of the options would be intelligible to any English-speaking person.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

Joe wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:58 pm

Now that you force me to spend time looking at your dilemma more carefully, the answer is:

I'm a substitute teacher FOR the Psychology Department

But almost any of the options would be intelligible to any normal English-speaking person with half a brain in his head.