I can't understand the meaning of this sentence

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

zzclcn

I can't understand the meaning of this sentence

Post by zzclcn »

Computers became an integrated part in several sectors; banking, railways, shopping carts, electricity, telephone departments etc are few in them. Even in the agricultural industry also we are using the technology developed with the help of computers. Medical industry also had improved a lot with the help of computers.

source: https://mydailyalerts.com/importance-computers

"banking, railways, shopping carts, electricity, telephone departments etc are few in them "

I can't understand the meaning of the sentence "are few in them", doesn't it mean that computers are being used more and more in these industries?
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: I can't understand the meaning of this sentence

Post by Joe »

zzclcn wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:22 pm Computers became an integrated part in several sectors; banking, railways, shopping carts, electricity, telephone departments etc are few in them. Even in the agricultural industry also we are using the technology developed with the help of computers. Medical industry also had improved a lot with the help of computers.

source: https://mydailyalerts.com/importance-computers

"banking, railways, shopping carts, electricity, telephone departments etc are few in them "

I can't understand the meaning of the sentence "are few in them", doesn't it mean that computers are being used more and more in these industries?
The sentence is badly written and ungrammatical. The phrase "are few in them" has no meaning. The writer possibly wanted to say "are a few of them", but that is pure conjecture on my part because I am not a mind-reader.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
zzclcn

Re: I can't understand the meaning of this sentence

Post by zzclcn »

many thanks!