Help with tense

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

SkyFox

Help with tense

Post by SkyFox »

Hey I'm having some trouble in regards to a few sentence with the word examine.

"Every single piece of reflection made me examine myself deeper by taking me back to my past"
"I thought about it before but never really ‘examine’ it"

In these two sentences, should examine be examined or examine? In the first sentence, the word made brings you back to the past right, so I'm guessing it should be examined?
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: Help with tense

Post by Joe »

SkyFox wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:55 am Every single piece of reflection made me examine myself deeper by taking me back to my past :ok:
I thought about it before but never really ‘examined’ it
1 is correct
2 examined

Except that strictly speaking "examine myself deeper" should be "examine myself more deeply". You need an adverb (deeply) to modify the verb (examine), not an adjective (deep). So...
- Every single piece of reflection made me examine myself more deeply by taking me back to my past. :ok:
- I thought about it before but never really examined it. :ok:
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
SkyFox

Post by SkyFox »

Thanks Joe. What is the reason that first sentence is ok without the -ED while the second sentence requires it? Both are past tense.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

SkyFox wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:04 pm Thanks Joe. What is the reason that first sentence is ok without the -ED while the second sentence requires it? Both are past tense.
In the first sentence the tense is carried by the verb make (made).

make someone do something

I will make you regret this
She made him get angry
We have made them forget it
He was making her do it
etc
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
SkyFox

Post by SkyFox »

So in an example like this " I saw the duck walk to the shore" is correct as opposed to " I saw the duck walked to the shore" because the verb saw carries the tense?

Much appreciated Joe {-:
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

SkyFox wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:38 pm So in an example like this " I saw the duck walk to the shore" is correct as opposed to " I saw the duck walked to the shore" because the verb saw carries the tense?

Much appreciated Joe {-:
Yes, exactly

OccamsRazor

Post by OccamsRazor »

"to make" is a causal verb. Causal verbs take bare infinitives.

He made me (to) help him.
He should (to) go home.
She let him (to) go through without paying.

In these cases, no 'ed' is possible because it is the infinitive form of the verb, which cannot be conjugated into tenses.
SkyFox

Post by SkyFox »

Much appreciated razor, didn't seen your post until today {-: