"start feeling irritated" or "start to feel irritated" which one is more natural in this context?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

shiqangpan
Rising Star
Rising Star

"start feeling irritated" or "start to feel irritated" which one is more natural in this context?

Post by shiqangpan »

According to a post https://qr.ae/pN2Ffd, "begin to do something" is more common than "begin doing something" used for a specific situation.

For example, "begin to do something" is more natural than "begin doing something" in this sentence,
The moment I began to read the letter, she fainted.
Does the rule apply to the word "start"?

In the following sentence,
For instance, a person gets on your nerves, you start feeling irritated, and you say ...
patron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: "start feeling irritated" or "start to feel irritated" which one is more natural in this context?

Post by patron »

The verb start in its base form (start) can be followed with either a gerund (ing) ora full infinitive (to+verb).

e.g I always start to feel irritated when my neighbour plays his music loudly.

e.g I always start feeling irritated when my neighbour plays his music loudly.

Both sound natural to me and are grammatically correct. However some people might use one form and others might use the other.

I think it depends on where its used (region, country)and how it's used.

EXTRA INFORMATION.
If you use the past tense form of start = started then you can also use either a gerund or a full infinitive form, and both sound OK to me and are grammatically correct,

e.g John started running very fast. :ok:
e.g John started to run very fast. :ok:

However,When "start" is used in continuous tenses (starting) then an infinitive is correct and natural.

e.g John is starting to run very fast.= OK :ok:

e.g John is starting running very fast= unnatural and incorrect :nok:

Some verbs are followed by gerunds and others by the full infinitive and some can be followed by both (sometimes with a difference in meaning). You have to learn these by heart or through experience.
If the grammar is not correct then the sentence will always sound unnatural.
shiqangpan
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: "start feeling irritated" or "start to feel irritated" which one is more natural in this context?

Post by shiqangpan »

Thank you, @patron, your answer is very helpful.

How about the usage of "start" when talking about something like a routine or habit? For example, Jim didn't have a habit of running as his exercise before. One day he felt uncomfortable and went to see a doctor. Consider the two sentences,
He started running because his doctor said it was good for his heart
and
He started to run because …
do they mean the same thing? Which one is more natural?
patron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by patron »

Hello,
He started running because his doctor said it was good for his heart
and
He started to run because …
do they mean the same thing? Which one is more natural?

Both of your sentences are grammatically correct and to me they both sound natural. Some speakers might prefer to use the gerund (ing)and others the full infinitive (to+verb).

I think that because running is already the name of an activity or sport then I would say that this would be used by most speakers in this context (my opinion).

In this context, both refer to advice being given by the doctor to start an activity (= running).

In another context the use of both forms could have different meanings.

e.g John started running . = John began a new activity (the activity of running).

e.g John stopped for a drink and then he started to run. again. = John stopped running for drink and then began running again.