Software, search engine and forum help for better grammar

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

exponent

Software, search engine and forum help for better grammar

Post by exponent »

I have same proposals about better grammar checker software. Or more precisely, more effective forum help with assistance of grammar checker software and some grammar search engines.

1. That this (or any other) grammar forum has also spell checker (SC) and grammar checker (GC).
2. When it happens that SC or GC finds error, but it is not error or it does not find error, but it is error, Native english teacher (ET) (on this forum) correct SC or GC.
3. If some sentences are correct (because ET wrote it), he assigns them and they appears in some corpus.
4. Besides correct sentence, words for grammar elements of this sentence can be written beside it. So we can use some search engine, which does not search only words, but also grammar elements.
5. Grammar is to much complicated that grammar software can be enough. There are necessary also big database (or grammar corpus) and elements.
6. One way of usage: One non-native person writes an article, then he enters these sentences in this search engine. (not only words, but also grammar elements of sentence). Then this search engine finds sentences with similar structure or with similar words. Beside the found sentences, evaluation of correctness of this sentence is written also.

I propose that we give same proposals, and maybe someone (or more people) will have energy to realize this. A good plan is half of success.

But, I did not yet test some grammar software, except in MS Word. I know also http://www.natcorp.ox.ac.uk/ Maybe some proposed things are already done?
exponent

Re: Software, search engine and forum help for better grammar

Post by exponent »

p.s. it is Useful also make base or connection among sentences with the same grammar structure. For instance
It is a cold weater.
It is a warm bath.
Anani

Re: Software, search engine and forum help for better grammar

Post by Anani »

I find your proposals for enhancing the capabilities of grammar checker software and grammar forums quite intriguing. It seems that they could be incredibly beneficial for individuals who are not native English speakers and are looking to bolster their understanding of grammar.
It is worth noting, however, that many of the features you suggest may already exist in various grammar checker software and forums. For instance, Grammarly, ProWritingAid, and Ginger Software all come equipped with integrated spell checkers and grammar checkers.
In some instances, though, grammar checker software may not be able to grasp the context and intended meaning of a sentence. That's when having access to a native English teacher or tutor could prove invaluable in helping learners identify and correct errors.
It's also interesting that you propose creating a corpus of correct sentences penned by native English teachers. This could be a valuable resource for learners seeking to improve their grammar.
There are even search engines and databases like the Corpus of Contemporary American English (COCA) and the British National Corpus (BNC) that allow users to search based on grammar elements.
Given the complexity of grammar, having a vast database or corpus of sentences at one's disposal can undoubtedly improve the effectiveness of grammar checker software.
The team of expert developers and designers work collaboratively to produce websites that are not only visually stunning but also highly functional and user-friendly. https://andersenlab.com/services/web-development