as such

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

mshahri

as such

Post by mshahri »

Hello , everybody, I write below the full sentences for your reference , could you please comment …

1. In case , if my appeal might be approved by the college , i’ll sooner or later have to
resit the failed subjects , therefore meanwhile I’m on study leave now , I’d like to
deepen my understanding in macroeconomics.
OR

Is it right to use “I have been on study leave now” instead of I’m on study leave now in the given context?

2. Since the beta function was not a familiar one then I had no idea how to integrate such a function .
OR

Is it wrong if we rephrase in different way like this : Since the beta function was not a familiar one then I had no idea how to integrate a function as such.

Please give me a few examples the usage of “as such”.
allansianadventurer

Post by allansianadventurer »

therefore meanwhile I’m on study leave now , I’d like to
deepen my understanding in macroeconomics.
Should be
"therefore, meanwhile, I’m on study leave now and I’d like to
deepen my understanding in macroeconomics."
-Mat
Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: as such

Post by Pirate »

mshahri wrote: 1. In case , if my appeal might be approved by the college , i’ll sooner or later have to
resit the failed subjects , ...

I suggest: In case my appeal is approved by the college, I'll have to resit the failed subjects, ...

In British English, "if" is used instead of "in case" here, but anyway not both.

"sooner or later" is a good phrase, but not necessary in the sentence.
mshahri wrote: 2. Since the beta function was not a familiar one then I had no idea how to integrate such a function .
OR

Is it wrong if we rephrase in different way like this : Since the beta function was not a familiar one then I had no idea how to integrate a function as such.

Please give me a few examples the usage of “as such”.
The 1st sentence sounds better with a little change: Since the beta function was not a familiar one, I had no idea about how to ...

A bit more about "as such":
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=as%20such
Last edited by Pirate on Sun May 08, 2005 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coolfish

Post by Coolfish »

I suggest: 1. In case my appeal is approved by the college , I’ll have to resit the failed subjects. Meanwhile I’m on study leave now, and I’d like to understand macroeconomics deeply.

2. Since the beta function was unfamiliar to me, then I had no idea how to integrate it.