past and present by Thomas Carlyle

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

juhainah

past and present by Thomas Carlyle

Post by juhainah »

hello all!

I would be grateful if anyone could help me by giving a summary for Carlyle's Past and Present

thx in advance!
GiddyGad
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by GiddyGad »

Do you mean a philosopher and historian? Does he have to do with grammar? Or your question concerns history?
juhainah

Post by juhainah »

Thanks for your reply GiddyGad!!!
Thomas Carlyle is a Victorian author according to what I'm studying right now. I am studying Victorian Literature. My question concerns history. I hope you can help by giving me an overview about this piece of art as I didn't understand it so much that I can benefit my mates about it. Plus, I can give you a link on that work. What I understood is that it concerns some complainmens of the author upon those political and economic issues existed during that time like the Corn Laws where only upper classes (land owners) could make use of economic outcome while working class gained nothing. It really needs some extinsive discussion since it contains many new concepts that I came across for the first time.

I would be grateful if you could help me.
juhainah

Post by juhainah »

Where are you all? I am really in need of your help today!!!!!! plz answer me soon
GiddyGad
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by GiddyGad »

...I still can't see how it can have anything to do with learning English... :?
juhainah

Post by juhainah »

GiddyGad
I don't think that Egnlish Language & Literature students couldn't understand what I was talking about. Thomas Carlyle is a famous philosopher and historian indeed, so of course his prose has something to do with learning English Literature. Anyway, I got some notes on that prose and I understood it clearly though it needs some revision.

thx anyway!!!