learning English

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

hmbmo10

learning English

Post by hmbmo10 »

Hey guys,
In what way do you want to improve your English?...I mean have you ever found out the way that you think is the most efficient for you to learn English?
Well, for me...I think the best way is by reading. I remember when I first read an English newspaper, I just completely lost! But as I read more, I was able to get some clues and eventually I could understand the whole idea of an article, but still I need the dictionary when I'm reading.
Learning English is a step-by-step process and it's like climbing a mountain, once you are on the top of that mountain, you will understand it's well worth making effort to learn.

What do you think? :idea:
In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity
GiddyGad
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by GiddyGad »

Reading does help a lot.
I don't think reading alone can be efficient, though. You can't enjoy reading to the full if you don't hear what you are reading. Listening, speaking, and writing (i.e. comparing what you can do in a language to what you hear or read) are just as important.

Reading ahead of hearing will slow down the process of learning, but having had enough sound forms available students can further their improvement in language learning by reading - it'll depend on language ambitions. Some people don't read much in their native languages; yet they progress quickly enough in speaking and hearing a foreign language...

Even slowly progressing students, for who reading might be the best or the only way of learning a foreign language, should have a basic course of oral practice.