What is the difference between PASSAGE and PARAGRAPH?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Pham Minh Son

What is the difference between PASSAGE and PARAGRAPH?

Post by Pham Minh Son »

I have difficulty in using those. Please help me with that!

Thanks! :)
serpico

Post by serpico »

The passage is a small part of one text in general .
The paragraph is a chapter or subdivision of chapter .
Good luck .
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

A paragraph is a part of one text, defining a part of this text. There is a "rupture" from one paragraph to another paragraph. Paragraphes follow each after other.

There may be a coherence and an order in the paragraphes of one text (or of one chapter ; chapters are parts of the scenario of one book :mrgreen: ).

A passage is not very precisely defined. It is used when we want to describe/analyse a text, a sentence for example.

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
ProfessorVerb
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ProfessorVerb »

When in doubt, define I always say... Let's see what Merriam has to say on the matter:

passage:

http://www.britannica.com/dictionary?bo ... ry=passage

6 a : a usually brief portion of a written work or speech that is relevant to a point under discussion or noteworthy for content or style b : a phrase or short section of a musical composition c : a detail of a work of art (as a painting)

paragraph:

http://www.britannica.com/dictionary?bo ... =paragraph

a : a subdivision of a written composition that consists of one or more sentences, deals with one point or gives the words of one speaker, and begins on a new usually indented line b : a short composition or note that is complete in one paragraph

A good rule of thumb is that a paragraph should have at least two (and preferably three) sentences, while a passage could consist of a single sentence.

A humorous reference to the page/paragraph issue was made by Mark Twain in his book, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. When the "Boss" meets Clarence, a page at King Arthur's court, for the first time, he looks at his small size and retorts that Clarence "is no more than a paragraph," to which the young man shrugs off without understanding the insult.

I hope that helped. --Professor Verb