Please analyse this poem creatively

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

RedRose

Please analyse this poem creatively

Post by RedRose »

Hi, guys. here is a famous, decent poem by Author Unknown. i think it very beautiful. but i can't understand it perfectly.

Can you help me? thanks in advance

Love is Like Magic
Love is like magic
and it always will be,
For love still remains
life's sweet mystery.

Love works in ways
that are wondrous and strange
And there's nothing in life
that love cannot change!

Love can transform
the most commonplace
Into beauty and splendor
and sweetness and grace.

Love is unselfish,
understanding and kind,
For it sees with its heart
and not with its mind.

Love is the answer
that everyone seeks...
Love is the language
that every heart speaks.

Love can't be bought,
it is priceless and free,
Love, like pure magic,
is life's sweet mystery!
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

Love is Like Magic
Love is like magic
and it always will be,
For love still remains
life's sweet mystery.
Love is magicfull, mysteryfull, the most mysterious, the nicest "thing" of life. Love is life, life is love. Remember it. [It does not take Shakespear's head to understand it. :mrgreen: ]
Love works in ways
that love cannot change!
Again : love is mysterious and wonderfull (because of large).
Life CAN change all. [and is stronger than everything else]
Love can transform
the most commonplace
Into beauty and splendor
and sweetness and grace.
With love, everything becomes different, new and beautiful.
Love is unselfish,
understanding and kind,
and not with its mind.
Love is not "one for one" but "each for other" and comes from heart. Love is the answer to the question "why ?".
Love is the answer
that everyone seeks...
Love is the language
that every heart speaks.
That is just what I said. I am paraphrasing, repeating. :mrgreen: [There is no hidden sense.]
Love can't be bought,
Love, like pure magic,
is life's sweet mystery!
That has value has no price. [Many people forget it.]

Yeah ! this poem seems to be a description of love. :mrgreen: (not a definition)

Every paragraph has 4 lines except the first one. This repetition insists on magic, and to attract the reader on this word. Magic is the semantic field of this poem.

Each paragraph begins with "love"... very important and meaningfull word, it seems me. :mrgreen:

Listen to the last sound of the second and fourth lines !

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

Shokin, you made an excellent analysis! your analysis enlightened me a lot, so now I am gonna try to analyse it.

correct me if I am wrong. here you go!
Love is Like Magic
Love is like magic
and it always will be,
For love still remains
life's sweet mystery
People produce new people mostly from love, so love is a magic mystery. Love makes human being extend to the eternal future. so sweet!
Love works in ways
that love cannot change!
love works in ways, that is because sometimes a man dates many women at the same time, that is wondrous and strange. in that case, he will has nothing in his life but multi-love. obviously, his life must be monotonic. therefore, a man is supposed to date just a woman at the same time (love can't change)
Love can transform
the most commonplace
Into beauty and splendor
and sweetness and grace
Due to hormone's funcation and consequence.
Love is unselfish,
understanding and kind,
and not with its mind.
Gibberish! love is unselfish?? how come? love is the most selfish thing in the world! it sees with heart as well as mind! that is why some people would fight with their opponents for a lover!
Love is the answer
that everyone seeks...
Love is the language
that every heart speaks.
yeah, love is a kind of language by which you can answer every question....on bed. ;)
Love can't be bought,
Love, like pure magic,
is life's sweet mystery!
I suppose that this author must be too poor to buy a luxury gift for his girlfriend. so he had to think to himself:"love is priceless!" what an optimistic guy! he deserved a pretty girl!

ok, guys. you are welcome to correct my analysis for this poem. thanks in advance. :mrgreen:
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

RedRose wrote:love works in ways, that is because sometimes a man dates many women at the same time, that is wondrous and strange. in that case, he will has nothing in his life but multi-love. obviously, his life must be monotonic. therefore, a man is supposed to date just a woman at the same time (love can't change
I am not sure that the author meant so, even if it is true. :mrgreen:
RedRose wrote:Due to hormone's funcation and consequence.
Does love depend on hormones ? then on natural selection ? :mrgreen: I thought that love depended on nothing.
RedRose wrote:love is the most selfish thing in the world! it sees with heart as well as mind! that is why some people would fight with their opponents for a lover!
I am not sure. Is selfish love really love ? I think that nowadays people see all relation as exclusive because they link all to love. For example, as soon as we talk about a man and a woman, you think about love (and sex). But there can simply be a professionnal or amical relation.
RedRose wrote:yeah, love is a kind of language by which you can answer every question....on bed. ;)
:lol: Really ? do you really think that "bed" solve all problems ?
RedRose wrote:I suppose that this author must be too poor to buy a luxury gift for his girlfriend. so he had to think to himself:"love is priceless!" what an optimistic guy! he deserved a pretty girl!
Yes, he/she can seem optimistic. But optimismus is better than pessimismus because optimismus gives self-confidence. He may look idealistic, but it is a good thing that he remembers us what love is.

You talk that the author may be poor, you talk about luxury. But is it important for him ? love is giving (him/her-self) and not receiving. But capitalismus badly tells us that happiness is in possession, in luxury. Capitalismus tells us "all that gets out must come back in" (invest for rentabilty) but human nature is "all that gets in must get out" (feeling so expressing). Capitalismus is against human nature.

Love is unmaterial. And must not depend on money.

Shokin
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

You are too young to understand my analysis.

But thank you.
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

Ah ! yes, how old are you ? :mrgreen:

If olding is becoming corrupted by money and sex, I prefer staying young.

Shokin
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

sigh! your words remind me of a Chinese saying:" to play music to a cow."

sorry.

I feel like discussing about this topic with some sophisticated, funny people though.
True Fire

Post by True Fire »

Redrose always has a magic viewpoint of looking at the world.
Love is Like Magic
Love is like magic
and it always will be,
For love still remains
life's sweet mystery.

The first paragraph refer to love as life's sweet mystery, using this word: magic.

mystery and magic mean something untouchable, invisible, unspeakable, but still love is sweet.

Love works in ways
that love cannot change!

Love can change anything in unexpectable ways. Everything in life can be changed by so called love. So don't believe in forever love. The person who loves you today may love another one in the future. the person who loves you today may be the one who loved another in the past.The person you love very much mayfall in love with a person you think with no charm at all. Dont' be too surprising and astounding.

Love can transform
the most commonplace
Into beauty and splendor
and sweetness and grace.

Yes, but nothng has changed in fact.
Love is blind. You may feel happy only if you are together with your loved one, no matter what a poor place you live in. Because In your eyes, it is like a palace of an emperor.
So if you had a only a bed and a quilt, you still can make love and make fun.

Love is unselfish,
understanding and kind,
and not with its mind.

When you are in love, you are unselfish, understanding, kind in deed. but when love disappears, everything turns into the opposite. that is to say, when you love, you love with heart, when you don't love, you love with mind. Someone,in order to monopolize the love, flies the flag written with: love is selfish.

Love is the answer
that everyone seeks...
Love is the language
that every heart speaks.

Every tries to seek the answer of what is love, but they haven't found it. so they explain it with their own language. As a result, no one knows what the others speak of and what they think in their minds. They just say love is......

Love can't be bought,
Love, like pure magic,
is life's sweet mystery!

You can not buy love, but you may buy love-making.

no matter how you explain the love, love is in a unknown world. it is sweet when you nake love.
Noun by Noun, Verb by Verb: It is details that make writing interesting.
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

True Fire wrote: You can not buy love, but you may buy love-making.

no matter how you explain the love, love is in a unknown world. it is sweet when you nake love.
YEAH!!! this is it!! there you go!!

yes, you are the one who understand my reading style :mrgreen:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

True Fire wrote:Redrose always has a magic viewpoint of looking at the world.
Are you sure "magic" is the word? Image
ProfessorVerb
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ProfessorVerb »

This is a lovely poem -- thank you for posting it.

There are some important connotations to the word, "magic," that should be taken into consideration in this analysis. According to Richard Cavendish (1970), "Magic has power to experience and fathom things which are inaccessible to human reason. For magic is a great secret wisdom, just as reason is a great public folly" (p. 1684). Most people, I believe, would probably agree that "magic," as a force per se," does not exist; however, the desire for it to exist seems to be universal.

Everyone would like to be able to manipulate their environment in meaningful and positive ways, and I'm sure that most people would like to be able to accomplish their goals with the snap of a finger. Similarly, love can take the place of magic by making seemingly impossible things happen, but -- unlike magic -- there is no control involved with love because it is uncontrollable.

I read this poem to mean that when people are in love, magical and wonderful things can happen to them that would not occur otherwise. The author has probably never been married...

References

Cavenish, Richard. 1970. Man, Myth & Magic: An Illustrated Guide to the Supernatural, Vol. 12. New York: Marshall Cavendish Corporation.

p.s. The concept of magic has lost much of its sinister or evil connotations in the United States, largely as a result of John van Druten's 1958 play (and then movie) "Bell, Book and Candle," which featured a real-but-fairly-benign witch living among real people. This play (and movie) spawned a number of take-offs, including the highly popular "Bewitched" television series where Samantha the Witch could wiggle her nose and clean her house, make dinner and feed the baby (also a witch) while sipping a martini and wearing pearls. This is how most people in the U.S. view magic today: a nose-wiggling witch on television who can solve your problems and won't hurt you if you don't make her mad.