Tricky Question

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Teacherito

Tricky Question

Post by Teacherito »

Some years ago an English teacher asked me
"Is it raining outside?", this question got me confused because I've never seen raining indoors.
What do you think?
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

then you could have told him:"if someday you find it raining indoor, just let me know."
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Teacherito, you've never seen it rain inside before? Neither have I. But there's a legend that says it rains indoors once in a while and only on special occasions. Supposedly, there is metal piping in large buildings that run all over the ceiling. When it gets hot and steamy (as Redrose would put it), it starts to rain to cool things off.

Don't take my word for it, it is but a myth to me. ;)
idalia
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by idalia »

Teacherito, my love, haven't you seen raining indoors? :roll:

Just wait the rainy season begins in Mexico city and you'll see how it rains inside. :? We've got leaks on our roof :oops:
Teacherito

Post by Teacherito »

My dear and sweet pain, don't you worry about that babe, it's only a little tiny hole, besides I'm ready with plenty of buckets, just in case...

:lol: :idea: :cry:
idalia
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by idalia »

Yes he is GREAT. ;) ;) ;)
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

question

Post by Elba »

Maybe the question of Teacherito is not wrog. Have you ever heard the word "Oxymoro". Maybe our excelent english teacher member could explain. I mean Unknownsu.
Oxymoro, acording to a mexican teacher is the sentence in wich we used antonyms to enfases the meaning.
ProfessorVerb
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ProfessorVerb »

English phrases and idioms contain many redundancies that are used because that is the way people are used to hearing them. It would be just as appropriate and correct to ask, "Is it raining?," and it would mean almost the same thing, but people are accustomed to hearing "outside" afterwards because "outside" helps to readily define the location involved.

The question, "Is it raining?" could mean, for example, "Is it raining ..." somewhere else, such as another state or country. "Is it raining outside" helps to clearly establish the act and location, and it does it with just one extra word. Very economical!
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

But tell me professor, It is an Oxymoron or not.

BTW I want to invited you to visit our forum "Contest and Competition", where our moderator "Lizzy" post one topic about Idioms, you could help us a lot. I hope Lizzy acept to post a new topic of Oxymorons. Yhank you in advance.
ProfessorVerb
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ProfessorVerb »

No, an oxymoron is two words that are used to describe something that are mutually exclusive together; i.e., military intelligence, jumbo shrimp, etc. Having been married for over 20 years, I once accused a female card player in an online gaming room with the name of "Happy Wife" of having an oxymoron for a name in jest, and she got very angry with me because she didn't know what an oxymoron was ... but assumed the worst. Words have power for sure.

http://www.britannica.com/dictionary?bo ... y=oxymoron

Main Entry: ox·y·mo·ron

Pronunciation: "äk-sE-'mor-"än

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural ox·y·mo·ra /-'mor-&/

Etymology: Late Greek oxymOron, from neuter of oxymOros pointedly foolish, from Greek oxys sharp, keen + mOros foolish
: a combination of contradictory or incongruous words (as cruel kindness); broadly : something (as a concept) that is made up of contradictory or incongruous elements

- ox·y·mo·ron·ic /-m&-'rä-nik, -mo-/ adjective
- ox·y·mo·ron·i·cal·ly /-ni-k(&-)lE/ adverb