Idioms

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Hey Redy,

I think you don´t understand the concept of idiom, wich is logical in different cultures.
Redrose wrote:maybe as a Chinese saying gose:"a woman is sweet, two women are sqrrows, three women are soldiers
And Idiom is not a "Saying", in your example there is a saying: "A womand is sweet etc".
In english there are sayings too but they aren´t idioms. And Idiom is a figurative and coloquial sentences that people use to say the same thing that in formal english.
Example of IDIOM

formal english Idiom
EASY A PIECE OF CACKE

Example of saying to procastination or for laziness

"A conclusion is simply the place where yopu got tired of thinking"

And Idioms Red Rose are very important because as a foreing students we can lear lots of grammar, but in the real life if you go to a some country where people speack english it is sure you won´t nderstand anything because they use idioms in all the cases.

Remember that:

"Everyone has photographic memory. Some just don´t have film"

I´m sure you have too much films. I don´t have one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

I think the best and easiest definition for idiom is "an expression or phrase that cannot be understood from its individual definition of elements."
Idioms are easily confused with similies, metaphors, and sayings.

Examples...

Run for your money.
Walking in someone's shoes.
Out of the blue.
Tempest in a teapot.
Keep tabs on.
In the long run.
Right off the bat.

I agree with Elba, idioms are as important as increasing your vocabulary. I, for one, use idioms in everyday use.
narris

Post by narris »

Unknownsu,

could you explain the definition of these idioms below?

Run for your money.
Walking in someone's shoes.
Keep tabs on.

thank you in advance
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Sure, Narris. I'll try and explain all of them in case someone who reads this post doesn't understand.

A run for your money - strong competition.
-If John enters the contest, he would give Joe a run for his money.

Walking in [someone's] shoes - to experience what some other person might.
-You think my job is easy? Why don't you try walking in my shoes for a day.
-If you were in my shoes, you wouldn't be laughing.

Out of the blue - unexpectedly.
-John visited me on Saturday out of the blue.

Tempest in a teapot - An uproar over a matter of little to no importance.
-All that because a handful of the thousand invited guests didn't show up? What a tempest in a teapot!

Keep tabs on - to observe carefully.
-Let's keep tabs on the stock market this morning.

In the long run - over a long period of time; in the end
-You might have more money now, but in the long run, I will be richer.

Right off the bat - instantly; immediately
-I can't remember his name right off the bat, but if you let me see his face...
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

Elba, u are right. I didn't understand the meanings of the word idiom. and I know few idioms.

thank u for telling me, Elba

Redy
narris

Post by narris »

Thank you ,unknownsu

you're so kind and considerate since you gave the each meaning with the appropriate examples which made me well understand these idioms !! :mrgreen:

so kind of you~~~ :D
ProfessorVerb
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ProfessorVerb »

A useful example of an English idiom is the phrase, "up tight." In this case, an individual is neither "up" nor "tight," but the meaning is still clear in common usage. Likewise, if someone has a "hang up," it means he or she has an eccentricity as opposed to the literal meaning such as when applied to the act of placing the telephone back in its receiver (which has also assumed an idiomatic quality in the age of cellular telephones).

In other words, an idiom is two or more words used in combination to describe a single concept that probably does not relate to the literal meaning of any of them.

I know some "idiots" too, though (such as my brother-in-law), and they don't seem to be getting any better :).

Good luck! -- Professor Verb
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Thank you very much Professor for your help and welcome to EC.
Tell me Are we a interesting phenomena on the WWW that you are reaserching? :mrgreen:
ProfessorVerb
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ProfessorVerb »

Thank you :)

You know, I had not thought about it like that, but this truly is an interesting phenomenon where people from all over the world can come together and converse about whatever is on their minds in a common language in a real-time manner (I'm glad it's in English for my sake at least!).

Over the years, I've lived in Korea, Thailand, Belgium and Mexico, but as I say, I have had an enormous amount of trouble learning other languages despite my best efforts. It is interesting to see how others learn a language and what questions arise during the process, and I'll try to provide my "two cents worth" whenever appropriate.