To learn English

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Tonyoung

Post by Tonyoung »

I don't think so ,Deek.
I believe that practice make perfect.
I fight,I conquer,I enjoy
amoolah
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by amoolah »

well, unfortunatly it is true...it is really hard to learn second language when you get older but the good news is that it is not imposible ;) all what you need to do is to try your best and good luck
RedRose

Re: To learn English

Post by RedRose »

Deeks wrote:Is it true it gets harder to learn another a second language when you get older?
not really.

the key issue to learn a second language is mainly about interest. If you like the new language, you can learn it well, no matter how old your are.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I think, though, that it's scientifically proved that children learn faster than adults.
vincent_thyme

Post by vincent_thyme »

I am studying english now, but tomorrow i will use it.
Today, english is a culture, Tomorrow, it will be a tool I can use it just like my mother tongue.
eyes_on_me
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

I agree. The older you get, the harder it is to learn a language. I think I read somewhere that by the age of 5 or 6, a child will already have use of over 10,000 words. Or it could be 7 or 8. :roll:

Take me for example, I'm so old, it is very difficult for me to remember anything. My brain power has been undermined by age....

Age does not always bring wisdom, sometimes it comes alone.
Diamond
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Diamond »

children have good memories and they can study and memorize more than older people :lol: ( animals can remmeber too :D :D :D :D :D )

ok then dont get old very fast :D :D
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

Yes the older you become, the more you will learn with difficulty (and not only languages).

But if you are really interested, no matter. You don't need to become a champion.

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
ProfessorVerb
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ProfessorVerb »

Studies have shown that there is a unique window of learning opportunity that takes place between birth and age 3 years that is never replicated in a person's life. In other words, if a person misses out on learning language and reading skills during these crucial years, the mental processes required for their acquisition are diminished for the rest of his or her life.

My second daughter learned to read by age 3 years using Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham (and others, but mostly GE&H) because I had learned about the studies I cited above and read to her every night. My first daughter, though, while WAY smarter than me and is a straight-A student in college today, still took two more years to learn to read than my second daughter.

I have lived in other countries as an adult and have tried to learn the languages, but I experienced an enormous amount of difficulty in spite of constant practice. I am astounded at the ability of other people to learn other languages so quickly, or in fact at all.

I wish I spoke another language as well as those of you in here speak English.