What is the difference between......

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Pham Minh Son

What is the difference between......

Post by Pham Minh Son »

Hi everybody,
I have a question needs answering by you. I don't know the difference between STUDY AND LEARN and STUDENT and LEARNER.
Who may give me an answer? I will be very grateful so much.
Minh Son
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

Don't you know the same difference in your own language ?

I am studying. I am studying mathematics. Studying means more an intellectual learning. (put it in your head ! :twisted: ).

I am learning mathematics. I learn swimming. I learn english. I learn that Jimmy was left. [learning is not necessary intellectual]

studying is an activity ; learning is an art. :mrgreen:

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
loveisblue

Re: What is the difference between......

Post by loveisblue »

Pham Minh Son wrote:Hi everybody,
I have a question needs answering by you. I don't know the difference between STUDY AND LEARN and STUDENT and LEARNER.
Who may give me an answer? I will be very grateful so much.
Minh Son
Generally, they are similar.

[1]I am studying English.
[2]I am learning English.

We can say both [1] & [2] with the same meaning. However, in some extent, "study" is the higher advanced period of learning. It is close to "research".

For people who are learning something, we call them "learners", which are similar to students or pupils. But you should distinguish that students and pupils are learners while not all learners are students or pupils.
Last edited by loveisblue on Fri May 06, 2005 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
serpico

Post by serpico »

Pham Minh Son maybe you can found the answer at http://www.answers.com/
Good luck .
ProfessorVerb
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ProfessorVerb »

You can study but never learn; you can be a student but not a learner. You can learn without studying, and you can be a learner without being a student.

I have found these to be some useful study tips:

--

DO ADVANCE READINGS!

If you're currently on Chapter 4 of your biology book, why not read on a few extra chapters? It doesn't hurt to be several pages ahead in class. In fact, doing advance readings will actually help you prepare yourself for the next lesson.
BANISH CRAMMING! "Cram" is high up there on the list of things that mostly characterize high school and college students, especially during exam week. Cramming usually results to lower grades. Two or three weeks before an exam, go over your notes already. This way, you aren't really pressured to study and you have ample time to pace yourself.

PREPARE YOURSELF FOR TOMORROW'S QUIZ!

When you get home, study the notes and lessons for that day as if you'll be having a quiz the next day, even there really isn't going to be one. Making a habit of reviewing the day's lessons will help to condition your mind and increase your memory retention.

WRITE YOUR NOTES NEATLY THEN TYPE THEM!*

Don't get lazy on writing on your notebook. Learn to jot down keywords and important phrases and ideas your teacher tells your class (see Forum Topic: "Type Your Notes!"

DEVOTE ENOUGH TIME!

Study and work within a specific length of time everyday. You may want to try devoting an hour and half after school to studying your lessons. Or you can schedule your study time at certain times during the night or weekend. The important thing is you stick to your plan.

These are only several of still many tips that can help you develop good study habits, but the above five tips are by far the most important and essential ones. Study them, keep them, remember them and most importantly, make them your habit!

--

Here's a study skills checklist to help identify where you need to concentrate your efforts to achieve better results in the future. First make a print out of this document. Using your printout, read each statement and consider how it applies to you. If it does apply to you, check Y. If it does not apply to you, check N. The purpose of this inventory is to find out about your own study habits and attitudes.

1. __Y __N I spend too much time studying for what I am learning.

2. __Y __N I usually spend hours cramming the night before an exam.

3. __Y __N If I spend as much time on my social activities as I want to, I don't have enough time left to study, or when I study enough, I don't have time for a social life.

4. __Y __N I usually try to study with the radio and TV turned on.

5. __Y __N I can't sit and study for long periods of time without becoming tired or distracted.

6. __Y __N I go to class, but I usually doodle, daydream, or fall asleep.

7. __Y __N My class notes are sometimes difficult to understand later.

8. __Y __N I usually seem to get the wrong material into my class notes.

9. __Y __N I don't review my class notes periodically throughout the semester in preparation for tests.

10. __Y __N When I get to the end of a chapter, I can't remember what I've just read.

11. __Y __N I don't know how to pick out what is important in the text.

12. __Y __N I can't keep up with my reading assignments, and then I have to cram the night before a test.

13. __Y __N I lose a lot of points on essay tests even when I know the material well.

14. __Y __N I study enough for my test, but when I get there my mind goes blank.

15. __Y __N I often study in a haphazard, disorganized way under the threat of the next test.

16. __Y __N I often find myself getting lost in the details of reading and have trouble identifying the main ideas.

17. __Y __N I rarely change my reading speed in response to the difficulty level of the selection, or my familiarity with the content.

18. __Y __N I often wish that I could read faster.

19. __Y __N When my teachers assign papers I feel so overwhelmed that I can't get started.

20. __Y __N I usually write my papers the night before they are due.

21. __Y __N I can't seem to organize my thoughts into a paper that makes sense.

If you have answered "yes" to two or more questions in any category, take a look at the Virginia Tech Study Skills Self-help Information Site for those categories.

If you have one "yes" or less in a category, you are probably proficient enough in these areas that you don't need Self-help Information. Feel free, however, to get information in areas that you may have special interests, even if you scored well.

Time Scheduling - 1, 2, and 3.
Concentration - 4, 5, and 6.
Listening & Note taking - 7, 8, and 9.
Reading - 10, 11, and 12.
Exams - 13, 14, and 15.
Reading - 16, 17, and 18.
Writing Skills -19, 20, and 21.

--

*WHAT DO YOU MEAN, TYPE MY NOTES?

Every teacher in the universe, except maybe your physical education teacher, will probably encourage you to take good notes during class. But we all know what class time is like ... the teacher drones on and on about irrelevant issues while the clocks slowly ticks by and then ... you ... just ... [YAWN] ... pass out from boredom.

Instead of doing that, though, try to stay awake and take some decent notes. Taking good notes is an art form and you need to pay attention to do so.

By typing your notes into your computer after class (or as soon thereafter as possible), you will be able to amplify the brief notes you took during class because the material will still be fresh in your mind. Further, reviewing your notes will be MUCH easier when they are typed, and the act of typing them into the computer in the first place will help reinforce the material in your mind, facilitating recollection during more stressful periods, such as exam time. With each grade level you go up, the subjects get more and more complicated. The more difficult the material, the more important good note-taking skills become. It's one thing to understand what your teacher said during class; it is often quite another thing to understand the idea or concept later, when class is long over.

You should develop a note-taking style that is legible, organized and serves to help you remember the material. Different people have different styles of learning and note-taking, of course, so there is no one correct way to take notes (the US Army taught me shorthand even though I enlisted to be an artilleryman... that helped me a lot in class!). You don't have to know shorthand, though, to use some quick abbreviations that will help you remember material when you are transcribing it into your word processor; many of these will be familiar to you already.

--

Taking good notes during a teacher's lecture can require some quick writing. The important thing to remember is not to worry about writing down EVERY WORD the teacher says. Using abbreviations and symbols can greatly reduce the amount of time spent writing, as long as you develop a system to remember what they mean. Here are some common and helpful symbols to keep in mind while taking notes:

SYMBOL MEANING

& and

@ at

/ per

> increasing, increased, increases, rises

< decreasing, decreased, decreases, falls

= equal to, is

NE not equal to, is not

\ therefore

w/ with

w/o without

w/i within

etc. et cetera, so forth

b/4 before

b/c because

esp. especially

diff. difference

min. minimum

max. maximum

gov't goverment

ex. example

2 to, two, too

--

At any rate, no matter your style, there are a few things that every student should do when taking notes:

One of the most important things I've learned in life is the first thing you put on any piece of paper is the date. Date your notes so it's easy to look back at them later and place them in context.

Keep math notes in one place, history notes in another, and so on. Use separate notebooks for each subject and keep all of your class handouts there.

Give each day's notes a heading of some sort, just as chapters in a book often have a title. Make the notes mean something as you create them. If you don't, when you go back and read them later they might seem like nothing more than chicken scratches on your paper. And who can read chicken scratches? That's why typing your notes makes even more sense when you are studying for tests.

Finally, take good care of your notes! If you take the time to make good ones, then take care not to lose them. You can always get notes from a friend, but if you've developed your own style then they'll be hard to replace. I still have bound copies of my notes from some of my college classes... and that was 30 years ago! I still refer to them to this day too.

Ten steps to taking exams with confidence, which include typing your notes, are provided by Gregory Lloyd in his essay below:

Ten Steps to Taking Exams with Confidence

by Gregory Lloyd

Terrified of taking tests? Does your stomach tie up in knots? Does your mind go blank? You're not alone. Many adults hesitate to go back to college because they know there will be lots of tests, and they find it difficult to face up to the challenge. It's perfectly normal to feel that way. However, you can overcome your fear and look forward to tests with complete confidence.

That's right. Whether you take classes on campus, through independent study, or online, if you follow these ten steps you'll find that exams are not such a huge obstacle after all.

When Studying

1. Take organized notes.

Most students wait until the end of the semester to start their review. Generally, they read and re-read their class notes word for word or go back through their textbooks. This can be tedious, time consuming, and not very effective. Try this instead. Begin preparing for your exams the day you receive your course materials by reviewing the syllabus and scanning the textbook. This will help you get a feel for what will be covered so you don't get any surprises.

As you're reading your text and preparing your assignments each week, focus on topics that are unfamiliar to you. Are certain points repeated or explained more thoroughly than others? Highlight or underline only the key words and phrases related to these points--not entire sentences. Also keep an eye out for definitions, formulas, lists, and items that are prominently featured.

After you've finished each assignment, grab your notebook and outline the points you've learned (main points followed by supporting points in words and phrases). Include examples to help you better retain the information. Leave plenty of white space so that you can add notes later--either from class or from later readings that pertain to the topics you've outlined. Your aim is to keep notes on similar topics in a logical sequence and avoid any duplication. If you have extra time, type your notes on a computer to make them easy to read and reorganize if needed.

If you don't understand something, get help before you move on. Lessons tend to build on one another, so you need to grasp the foundation material first. If there's a topic that's giving you trouble, talk to your professor or research the topic further at the library or on the Internet.

2. Transfer some of your notes to flash cards.

Studying in short time spurts is much more effective than reviewing in marathon sessions. Make up a set of 3x5 index cards for terms and concepts you have difficulty remembering. Include the term or concept on one side and the definition or description on the other. Keep adding cards as your course progresses and take them with you wherever you go. Then, whenever you have a few minutes, pull out your cards and test yourself on them in random order. Study actively by asking yourself questions on the material you don't know well.

As soon as you can, determine what type of test will be given. Multiple choice, true or false, fill-in-the-blank, and essay are the most common. (Most standardized tests are multiple choice.) If there's a practice test available, take it without referring back to your notes. Mark the questions you have difficulty with so that you know what areas you need to review more thoroughly.

3. Commit your notes to memory.

If you follow steps 1 and 2, by the time you reach the end of your course you'll have little left to do to prepare for your test. By reviewing often and in short time spurts, you'll spend less time in each study session and you'll be able to retain the information better and you won't get fatigued. As the test day nears, review your study sheets more and more frequently. As you get closer to test day, you'll find that you'll be able to absorb more and more material in less and less time. Do not merely memorize the information. Your aim is to understand the material so that it makes sense in your mind and you'll be able to retain it better.

Try to study when you're most alert and where you won't be distracted. Also, take time to meditate on the material by reviewing it in your head away from your notes. Put in your own words what you've read and connect these thoughts to what you already know. You may even combine studying with another activity, such as gardening, waiting at the doctor's office, or waiting in traffic, so you'll feel less stressed and alone.

On Test Day

4. Arrive early.

Allow enough time for driving, parking, and finding the exam room. Don?t get there too early, however. Lengthy last minute reviews seldom improve your chances. Ideally, you should arrive within 15 minutes of the time the test will begin.

5. Be prepared.

The night before the test, set aside the items you'll need, such as pencils, pens, calculators, and ID tags. Most tests are timed, so wear a wristwatch. Make sure you get enough sleep, eat a light breakfast, and drink fluids so that you?ll be functioning at your peak. Dress in layers; you'll want to feel slightly cool during the test.

6. Get comfortable.

Relax. Inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. If you suffer badly from nerves, try deep breathing or other relaxation technique before you attempt the test. Use affirmations, such as "I'm well prepared," "I know I'll succeed," or "I've got plenty of time to answer all the questions."

7. Read the directions carefully.

Generally, you're allowed time to review the directions before the test begins. Take advantage of it. Preview the test if you?re allowed so that you can determine how much time you'll need to allot to each section.

8. Skim the entire test.

Answer the easy questions first. This will give you confidence and will buy you time to think about the tougher ones. While looking over the test and doing the easy questions, your subconscious mind will have been working on the answers to the harder ones. Read each question thoroughly. Don't linger too long on any one question.

9. Complete every question.

In most cases, a guess is better than leaving it blank. (Find out if you're penalized for wrong answers.) Express difficult questions in your own words. Rephrasing a question can make it clearer to you, but be sure you don't change its meaning. For true/false and multiple-choice exams, look for words of exclusivity like always, never, only, and even if. Watch for modifying or limiting phrases. Instructors often insert names, dates, places, or other details to make a statement inaccurate. Remember that all parts of a statement must be true or the entire statement is false.

10. Review your answers.

Take any remaining time to review your answers to ensure that you understood the question correctly. If you're allowed, consider placing a small mark next to each question as you go through them the first time to identify those you're not sure of. Virtually all classroom and standardized tests have time limits, so use all of the time you're allotted.

The key to alleviating anxiety is knowledge. The more you know in advance about an exam--such as content, format, and time limits--the less you'll worry. Knowing about an exam includes understanding the types of questions you?ll be asked, how the exam will be graded, how much time you'll have to respond, and so on. Best of all, when you've adequately prepared for the test--by study, practice, and frequent review of the material throughout the course--you'll succeed beyond your expectations. Which will give you even more confidence for the next exam.

Remember: Studying doesn't have to take a lot of time or involve torture. If you follow these pointers, you'll find that you're spending less time studying and getting more accomplished. Which means more time for entertainment and relaxation, and more time for the people and things that matter most in your life.

Be Sure to Cite Your Sources! -- Professor Verb
serpico

Post by serpico »

:R:
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

ProfessorVerb seems to be a champion ! the pure English (Britannic) who have visited all the english-speaking world !

Very useful, what you told us. Thank you !

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.