Hello Ms. Dixie and other advisers

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

mali
Rising Star
Rising Star

Hello Ms. Dixie and other advisers

Post by mali »

Hello Ms. Dixie it is possible you can solve my problem.

If yes please tell me.

Problem is that I am 32 years old and I improve my memory.

How can i improve this one.
HI, I AM M. ALI, 30 YEARS OLD, HOLDING MASTER AND LLB DEGREE, WORKING AN INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION, VISITED AROUND 25 COUNTRIES. LOOKING GOOD FRIEND
sunshine81
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by sunshine81 »

Well, i'm not Miss Dixie...but i don't understand what you mean :oops: Can you explain that a bit deeper?
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

I guess he meant he was just 32, but he lost some memories of his. Right?
mali
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by mali »

Thanks Ms. Sunshine and Ms. RedRose, I am 32 years old I would like improve my vocabulary, I mean just get more, but these days i not recall the word that i was remeber.

Please advice if you have more for me.

Thanks
HI, I AM M. ALI, 30 YEARS OLD, HOLDING MASTER AND LLB DEGREE, WORKING AN INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION, VISITED AROUND 25 COUNTRIES. LOOKING GOOD FRIEND
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

oh, now I got your point ;)

As for me, reciting vocabulary used to be very hard. at that time, I always took every english word as an unique unit, and recited it frequently, finally, I failed to remember them.

Later, an American friend told me:"you should read plenty of english stuff instead. as you read some new words, you'd better emphasize and recite them. that would be better."

Yeah, this is a fun way to recite vocabulary.besides, watching TV and movies also work.

Good luck!
mali
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by mali »

Thanks Ms RedRose, it is good idea I will try my best. Please if you have any name of book which help me regarding this matter please inform me.

Thanks.
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

any english novel works well. you can read them online or go to book stores to get an one!

If Tomorrow Comes is very nice :lol:
sabara

Re: Hello Ms. Dixie and other advisers

Post by sabara »

mali wrote:Hello Ms. Dixie it is possible you can solve my problem.

If yes please tell me.

Problem is that I am 32 years old and I improve my memory.

How can i improve this one.
Mr. Mali, something thak I learn in my english school is make associations to remember to the word, like, if you learn a word, for example - BOOK - you need to remenber to the figure of a book, and not remeber to the word BOOK.

Another thing that could be good is look to a figure, like the "Statue o Liberty" and remember words associated to the figure, like STEEL - that is the material that was used to made the satue, or SEA, that are around of the statue or NY, that is the city. This tip is most used to keep your memory good and fast t remember of something, isn't the best to learn news words.
sds.
SABARA
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

Think about situations where you can use these words that you want to remember, and create one of these situations.

Think and talk about this word (this idea), like in your own language.

Read novels and newspapers in english ! you will find the "real" (=really useful to underdstand) vocabulary. For example, the Financial Times (if you are interested in finance :mrgreen: ).

All what you do, do it in english (in the language that you want to learn) : notebook, mails, work, games, etc. [In others words forget your native language. :mrgreen: ]

Don't worry, vocabulary is one of our (my :mrgreen: ) difficulties. I think that the words have to come themselves into your life (or you attract them).

Don't be pressed to learn vocabulary.

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Mali,

I don't think I can give you any better advice that what it's already given. As you can see, reading is essencial. Read as much as you can. I assure you will learn new vocabulary without even being aware of it!

There are many techniques to learn new vocabulary. Using different colors for different concepts, underlining, classifying the concepts according to the family words they belong to (HOUSE: living room, bathroom, kitchen, etc // CLASSROOM: book, notebook, pencil, dictionary, blackboard, etc.) and drawing bubbles associating them to the main word.

I often heard about a vocabulary learning technique which consisted of trying to learn 5 new words every day. I don't like that technique, though, because when you learn something by heart it's really likely you'll forget about it straight away.

I think what Shokin adviced you to do is totally right. Try to think in English, forget about your native tongue for a while and focus on the English language.

Good luck, Mali!
sabara

a question!!!!!

Post by sabara »

My friends, is correcto so say "once a time"????
With this sentence I want to say that the situation happened only the first time, and never repeted. If it's not correct, what is the best expression to use in this situation???
sds.
SABARA
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: a question!!!!!

Post by Dixie »

sabara wrote:My friends, is correcto so say "once a time"????
With this sentence I want to say that the situation happened only the first time, and never repeted.
No, that expression is not correct. You should say Just once, or only once.
sabara

Re: a question!!!!!

Post by sabara »

Dixie wrote:
sabara wrote:My friends, is correcto so say "once a time"????
With this sentence I want to say that the situation happened only the first time, and never repeted.
No, that expression is not correct. You should say Just once, or only once.
Thank you Dixie, you're lovely.
sds.
SABARA
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

You're more than welcome ;)
Chet Baker
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Chet Baker »

I agree with all of the above suggestions. Thanks a lot.
Chet Baker
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Chet Baker »

By the way, who is the author of "If Tomorrow Comes"
I have searched the http://www.amazon.com, there are more than a hundred result coming out. Rose, would you please tell me?
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

Chet Baker wrote:By the way, who is the author of "If Tomorrow Comes"
I have searched the http://www.amazon.com, there are more than a hundred result coming out. Rose, would you please tell me?
Sydney Sheldon
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Mali,

Do you like games?
At Ec Forum there´s a section of games that include vocabulary, two word verbs, grammar, etc. Try in this section. ;)