A problem about English listening skills

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

RedRose

A problem about English listening skills

Post by RedRose »

As you know, I am always weak at English listening skills. Dixie and other friends told me:"Rose, just watch english VCD and TV, listen, listen listen.. then you will improve your listening ability!"

According to these kind advices, I bought some English VCDs to watch. how ever, to your surprise, when I watch english stuff, I just can understand some insulting words well, such as "~", "~", "damn", "~", "bastard"...etc. but I can't understand those desent words well. what happened?

Are those insulting words more rememberable than those desent words? how come? how can I really improve my english listening ability? instead of remembering there lousy words...
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Let's face it, the attempt is futile...
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

what is your point? Unknowsu?
sunshine81
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by sunshine81 »

Redrose, what about a pronunciation software? They always contain a lot of listening comprehensions...i just ordered the pronunciation power from EC :P :P
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

sunshine81 wrote:Redrose, what about a pronunciation software? They always contain a lot of listening comprehensions...i just ordered the pronunciation power from EC :P :P
Thank you, honey! I will take a try!
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Your best chance of improving your listening comprehension is to come and try to kill me. You see, when you arrive, you will need instructions to find me, so you would need to asked people. You unwillingly have to speak and listen in English. So, in order to find me, you will have to understand, therefore, enhancing your listening comprehension.
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

I am afraid that I willn't be able to survive before finding you! what if you tell me your exact address? thanks in advance!
Jamesbond

Post by Jamesbond »

My advice is only that
more you listen more you get!!!
Jamesbond
Keep in contact with me
I love English treating that as a part of my life .So glad to make friends with you .Altogether we can make efforts on English studying and finally we'll make it !!!Expecting you can contact with me for chatting .let's help each other!GOGO!
sunshine81
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by sunshine81 »

Redrose for a start try to download the test version of MyET

http://www.myet.com

It has limited features but in my opinion it's quite good :P
Jamesbond

Post by Jamesbond »

Dixie
(Keeper of the Boards) showed so exactly examples , and we can pick some important points from these words
I love English treating that as a part of my life .So glad to make friends with you .Altogether we can make efforts on English studying and finally we'll make it !!!Expecting you can contact with me for chatting .let's help each other!GOGO!
mr_Love
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by mr_Love »

rose you forget to mention this word " pull ~ "
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

sunshine81 wrote:Redrose for a start try to download the test version of MyET

http://www.myet.com

It has limited features but in my opinion it's quite good :P
wow! Sun! you are from Austria, but you even can read Chinese! the website you provided for me, is a Chinese website!

oh, amazing!
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

mr_Love wrote:rose you forget to mention this word " pull ~ "
"Pull ~"? what is that? it means "go to toilet, right?
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

I think mr_love is refering to bullshit.
sunshine81
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by sunshine81 »

RedRose wrote:wow! Sun! you are from Austria, but you even can read Chinese! the website you provided for me, is a Chinese website!

oh, amazing!
Haha..well sometimes i wish i could! But it's also in English ;)
masa
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by masa »

In my case, I don't have good ear to listen to English.
So, I practise my listening skills by listening to music, watch or listen CNN, and so on.
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

masa wrote:In my case, I don't have good ear to listen to English.
So, I practise my listening skills by listening to music, watch or listen CNN, and so on.
do they work?
jerryking

Post by jerryking »

I think!NO Pain,no gain!
Trantrung

Post by Trantrung »

jerryking wrote:I think!NO Pain,no gain!
But litlle pain get many gain ! That's the tip.
I wander'd lonely as a cloud
mr_Love
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by mr_Love »

i started from easy to hard

first i used to lesin to news,,then pop music,then rock music..

now i can even know what they say in Rap music.....
BLACK DEATH

hi

Post by BLACK DEATH »

oh godness ..
If I ask the question that R R asked , I think I wont receive all these answer and helps .. I know that all of you like RR but not like me . she will be with me only ...
second , RR you have to buy useful vcds ....
:R: thanks. :R:
RedRose

Re: hi

Post by RedRose »

BLACK DEATH wrote:oh godness ..
If I ask the question that R R asked , I think I wont receive all these answer and helps .. I know that all of you like RR but not like me . she will be with me only ...
second , RR you have to buy useful vcds ....
:R: thanks. :R:
you are so funny :lol: we all like you.

by the way, what are useful vcds? you mean english movies? yeah, now I often watch them. however, my english aural skills don't improve that much. what about mp3? I want to listen to some english stuff by mp3. because mp3 is easy to carry, so I can listen to english stuff in my spare time. I donna whether it works.
BLACK DEATH

Post by BLACK DEATH »

HONEY ..
as you know movies have not a clear sound .. it also have a lot of slang words so it are not very useful .. you can listen to bbc or cnn .. I know the news will be bad and sad but it is the life ..
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

thank you for your great advices :D
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

RedRose wrote:thank you for your great advices :D
Red, don't forget that the noun "advice" is uncountable. ;)
The best way you can improve your listening skills is by getting a bf who is a native english speaker of English. I'll do the same thing. :mrgreen:
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

Lalee wrote:
RedRose wrote:thank you for your great advices :D
Red, don't forget that the noun "advice" is uncountable. ;)
The best way you can improve your listening skills is by getting a bf who is a native english speaker of English. I'll do the same thing. :mrgreen:
thank you, but I just checked my dictionary. and it is evident that advice is a countable noun. Maybe we have different dictionaries :cry:

BTW, I don't think it is reasonable to find a native english bf just for the purpose of learning english. that is crazy ;)

Besides, I hope that you can find your real Mr. Right in the future. what about essie?

Definitely, Jimmy loves Dixie crazily. I bet it must not be gossip...it is a truth. however, just take easy.
yl88
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by yl88 »

hello dear Rose

"bullshit" is means talking about rubbish. it's not that kind of insulting words. i mean it's not as bad as "~" "~"....

btw. the most effective way to improve my listening is listen to the radio..and do listening practice..such as IELTS...

anyway..these are only my opinions... ;)
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

thank you. recently, I have already watched Friends from Season 1~Season 10. and it is a fun way to improve my english listening skills. and according to you guys' advices, I will listen more english stuff, such as online radio, english taps, english movies and music...

someday if I can understand an english movie perfectly, I will treat myself to a dinner for celebration.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
yl88
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by yl88 »

that's a good idea, rose

:)