You have any advice for the TOEFL test?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

You have any advice for the TOEFL test?

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

My TOEFL test is going to be on January 15, 2005

I am studying for it now. This is the first time that I take the test. I need your advice guys!
:roll:
mr_Love
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by mr_Love »

well, try to have sample of it

and do it

... i will ask my friends here . i will post soon

i didnt do the tofil because my collage is different system
poro

Post by poro »

Don't forget to bring your visa or something has your signature in it. Ah, and you can bring milk or water with you because it's gonna take long time ( about from 5 to 6 hours). Just that, I 'm sorry but I have no advice for you about the test; it's just the same as what we have learn when preparing for the toefl( you got every thing you need in toefl practice test books).
Good luck to you :D
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: You have any advice for the TOEFL test?

Post by Dixie »

Miss. Ladybird wrote:My TOEFL test is going to be on January 15, 2005

I am studying for it now. This is the first time that I take the test. I need your advice guys!
:roll:
I think you need so little advice because you're gonna do great! Your English is excellent ImageImage Good luck!!! Image
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: You have any advice for the TOEFL test?

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

Dixie wrote: I think you need so little advice because you're gonna do great! Your English is excellent ImageImage Good luck!!! Image
Thank you Dixie :D . Your words mean a lot to me :mrgreen:
;)
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

That's very kind of you prince :) . Thank you very much. But don't bother yourself for me. O.K. ;)
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

poro wrote::Don't forget to bring your visa or something has your signature in it...
I didn't know that. Thank you Poro. :D
poro wrote::Ah, and you can bring milk or water with you because it's gonna take long time ( about from 5 to 6 hours) ...
I've got that in my mind. ;)
poro wrote::Just that, I 'm sorry but I have no advice for you about the test...
That's more than enough Poro. Thanks again.
poro

Post by poro »

:mrgreen: you're welcomed. :D :D
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

They say that you have to write an essay in the TOEFL test but there are no grades on it. Is that true? :?: :roll:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

If it's not graded, what's the point of writing an essay for the test? :roll: Image
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

Dixie wrote:If it's not graded, what's the point of writing an essay for the test? :roll: Image
Why didn't I think of that :!: ImageImage
I love this emotion(Image)
poro

Post by poro »

Oh, it'll be graded ( from 1 to 6 marks). However it won't be plus into the total score like grammar, reading and listening.
When they send you your score record, there'll be two rows: first is toefl scale scores with the scores of three sections and the second is TWE scores for the essay.
Actually I think the TWE scores is not very important, however, there still are some colleges which require it in order to apply in.
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

poro wrote:Oh, it'll be graded ( from 1 to 6 marks). However it won't be plus into the total score like grammar, reading and listening.
When they send you your score record, there'll be two rows: first is toefl scale scores with the scores of three sections and the second is TWE scores for the essay.
Actually I think the TWE scores is not very important, however, there still are some colleges which require it in order to apply in.
NOW I get it. Thank you very much. I owe you one pal. ;) :D
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

In Peterson's TOEFL CBT Success I couldn’t understand the answer for the following question. The book says it's choice (C) but from my understanding I chose (A).
Do you know why it's (C)? :roll: :?

Mark the one answer choice (A), (B), or(C) – that is a valid inference based on that sentence:
Even spiders that do not build webs from silk use it for a variety of purposes, such as constructing egg sacs and nursery tents.
_______ (A) All spiders build webs.
_______ (B) Spiders that build webs don't build egg sacs or nursery tents.
_______(C) Silk is used by all spiders.
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Your answer (A) is not supported in that sentence. Come to think of it, I don't think any of the answers are supported. But the best one would be C because it does touch the concept. They shouldn't use the word "all" though.
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

Unknownsu wrote:Your answer (A) is not supported in that sentence. Come to think of it, I don't think any of the answers are supported. But the best one would be C because it does touch the concept. They shouldn't use the word "all" though.
Teacher Su, you have never told me about the above knowledge in the past. it seems that you have already expelled me arbitrarily. I just can't help crying! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

I wouldn't call it knowledge. It's just paying attention to detail and understanding the language.

I did not expel you. I saw you on MSN but you ignored me. It seems to be vice versa, in my opinion.
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

Unknownsu wrote:I wouldn't call it knowledge. It's just paying attention to detail and understanding the language.

I did not expel you. I saw you on MSN but you ignored me. It seems to be vice versa, in my opinion.
wow? when? I didn't!!! and you know I won't ignore you anyway!
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

Unknownsu wrote:Your answer (A) is not supported in that sentence. Come to think of it, I don't think any of the answers are supported. But the best one would be C because it does touch the concept. They shouldn't use the word "all" though.
thanks Teacher Su :D . I think I got it now. :R:
jing jing

TRY YOUR BEST

Post by jing jing »

:lol: FIRST, I WANT TO GIVE U A SMILE, I HOPE IT WILL HELP U TO FEEL RELAXABLE AND THE SECOND , I WANT TO ASK U TO CALM DOWN AND SELF CONVIDENT, STUDY HARD AND REVIEW YOUR LESSON WELL BEFORE THE EXAM COMING, LAST OF ALL, U SHOULD TAKE A BREAK AFTER STUDYING TIME, EATING GOOD FOOD AND HAVE A LONG SLEEP TO PREPARE UR EXAM AND U HAVE TO RELAX BEFORE U COME IN UR ROOM FOR TEST AND TRY UR BEST TO DO IT WELL, LUCK TO U, MY FRIEND :) :lol: :P
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: TRY YOUR BEST

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

jing jing wrote::lol: FIRST, I WANT TO GIVE U A SMILE, I HOPE IT WILL HELP U TO FEEL RELAXABLE

That's very sweet! I will thank you with a big kiss for that MOAAAH. :lol:
I will imagine you smiling to me in the test so I can remember to relax ;)
jing jing wrote:THE SECOND , I WANT TO ASK U TO CALM DOWN AND SELF CONVIDENT, STUDY HARD AND REVIEW YOUR LESSON WELL BEFORE THE EXAM COMING
I am already nervous. But I will try to keep that in mind.

:R: Thank you Jing JIng. it's a wonderful advice. :R:
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

RedRose wrote:wow? when? I didn't!!! and you know I won't ignore you anyway!
Before I know you wouldn't, but now, I'm not too sure. When you ignored me, I started crying...
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Hello Miss. Ladybird,

I just wanted to wish you luck on your upcoming test. For someone who grew up in an English speaking country, I am very curious as to what the contents of the TOEFL are. I wonder how I would do should I be tested. Oh well...

Best of luck to you!
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

Unknownsu wrote:
RedRose wrote:wow? when? I didn't!!! and you know I won't ignore you anyway!
Before I know you wouldn't, but now, I'm not too sure. When you ignored me, I started crying...
I hope you are my teacher forever if you want.

But today I said hi to you on MSN, wow!!!you ignored me all the way! I wanna go to Canada to kill you! First of all, I should paste bulletins everywhere in Canada..... :mrgreen:
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

Unknownsu wrote:I am very curious as to what the contents of the TOEFL are. I wonder how I would do should I be tested. Oh well...
If you are interested, you can go to the test instead of me. I will never say no. you can keep the fees, but don't forget to write my name - it brings good LUCK. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Red Rose wrote: I wanna go to Canada to kill you! First of all, I should paste bulletins everywhere in Canada.....

If you refuse my offer, I will help Red Rose to paste the bulletins. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Miss. Ladybird wrote:If you are interested, you can go to the test instead of me. I will never say no. you can keep the fees, but don't forget to write my name - it brings good LUCK. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually, I don't mind taking the test for you. I offered to take a test for Redrose once but she refused because she said my command of English was far inferior to hers. I was very depressed. Maybe it's not such a bright idea for me to take the TOEFL for you cause I'd probably flunk it anyway.
Red Rose wrote: I wanna go to Canada to kill you! First of all, I should paste bulletins everywhere in Canada.....

I'm not worried at all. We, here in Canada, are freezing at the moment so if you guys show up wanting to kill me, I'm afraid you'd freeze to death first. I didn't mean to ignore you on MSN. I accidentally left it on at work and didn't log out. My bad.
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

Unknownsu wrote:Actually, I don't mind taking the test for you. I offered to take a test for Redrose once but she refused because she said my command of English was far inferior to hers. I was very depressed.
you little liar! :twisted: you know I worship you so much!
I'm not worried at all. We, here in Canada, are freezing at the moment so if you guys show up wanting to kill me, I'm afraid you'd freeze to death first. I didn't mean to ignore you on MSN. I accidentally left it on at work and didn't log out. My bad.
ok, then I should go to Canada to kill you in summer instead. :mrgreen:
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Redrose, my dear, you really have to calm down. You're beginning to scare me. You worship me?? That's real shocking considering how you always like to make fun of me. So is it normal to kill the person you worship in China? Makes no difference though because I will probably be visiting Guangzhou in the summer. You can hunt me down allllllllllllllllll you want. ^_^
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

you know what? Just as a Chinese proverb said:"the more you worship a man, the more you hate him!" so it is normal for me to kill you!

It is ok that you will come here. I and my gun are both ready :mrgreen:
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

You can take your empty death threats somewhere else because they don't work on me. I only said I was going to China because you said you were coming here. I don't like China anymore, I'll go travel somewhere you can't find me!
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

Teacher!!! Don't expel me anyway! if you don't expel me, I won't kill you! I bet!
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

O.K. Tomorow is THE day. wish me luck.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

gOOD LUCK, HONEY!!!!
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

well.... I took the test today. It really was a piece of cake.but the Reading part was NO picnic, but I did my best. Thank you all for your support :D :D :D :D
Special thanks to you Dixie :D
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

You're more than welcome! I knew you'd do great!!!!! Let us know your grade when you get it!
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

;) You got it! ;)
but we will have to wait for at least a MONTH to know the score. :x
Jamesbond

Post by Jamesbond »

I don't know !!1
I love English treating that as a part of my life .So glad to make friends with you .Altogether we can make efforts on English studying and finally we'll make it !!!Expecting you can contact with me for chatting .let's help each other!GOGO!
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

I passed, I passed …………………
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I got 603 in my TOEFL test……………………
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

Miss. Ladybird wrote:I passed, I passed …………………
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I got 603 in my TOEFL test……………………
congratulations! then you are ganna study abroad? that is great!
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Miss. LadyBird, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew you would do it ;)
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Congrats, Miss. Ladybird!

It's a good thing you didn't get me to take the test for you. You would not get the score you currently have!
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

Thank you sooooooooooooo much dear RedRose, Dixie and Unknownsu. :D
Your congrats mean a lot to me, ;)
Unknownsu wrote:It's a good thing you didn't get me to take the test for you. You would not get the score you currently have!
That's very sweet :oops: :D . Thank you again. ;)