Streem of consciousness (daily exercise)

Add your poems, essays and short stories here. Please do not post work by other writers.

Moderator: EC

Svetashev

Streem of consciousness (daily exercise)

Post by Svetashev »

In order to learn to speak English like native speakers I must learn to think in English before. The technique for that is very simple. When I'm walking in the street I should begin to think in English without translating my thoughts in Russian. How can I achieve that? Well, I must start with a simple sentence like that: "I want to think in English". Then, if nothing comes to my mind, I must repeat the sentence. I must repeat the sentence while some other sentence will come to my mind. It may be something like that: "I want to think in English but how can I do it? I know some words and I can connect the words to each other. What words do I know..?

Every day I can begin with the sentence: I want to think in English. I have to imagine a way of the thinking process in which I could go in different possible directions for some minutes. Every good step that I will make will be noted as a new level in the game. For example, the first point is: I want to think in English. The second may be: everything, what I need for thinking, is time. How much time can I spend for this kind of thinking per day? It's a good question. If I want to get a good result it must be one or two hours at least. How can i organize it? How much time do I spend for the internet every day? If I could use half of this time for thinking, I would get enough.

I want to think in English. Where would I come today? Where would I come in a month? In a year? If I think every day trying to write down the process of thinking and focusing on some issue within a month, I will be able to figure out what thinking in English is like. If I concentrate on the issue during a year, I will be able to use English in the process of thinking without efforts. What prospects does it offer? I will be able to listen to everything that I can find on the internet in English. It is the same with reading. Also I will be able to write. It gives me an opportunity to communicate with everyone I want. I can master thinking everywhere. Every free five minutes I can get to it.

I want to think in English. How to start doing it today? Maybe it is time for changing the first sentence. What if I begin with "I should"? The sentence "I should think in English" is stronger than "I want". If I use strong words for organizing the process of thinking, my wish to work with the issue will become stronger too. Applying certain words is the key to personal growth. If I work with weak words, my wish doesn't have the power, but if I begin using powerful words, everything changes. What kind of powerful words I know? How about boldness? Recently I've learned the word by reading about Elon Musk's new company. It seems he is trying to invent a wizard hat for the brain.

I should think in English. Ok, it's the second step on the way which I began some days ago. I mean, it's a new point in my mind that will bring thoughts round . Hey, thoughts! Come in! Don't be afraid! I'm not going to hit you. We'll have a great time. Ohh, it's so stupid. I put myself in hard circumstances writing "should". This ~ "should" kills my wish to write. One ~ silly "should", instead of making my thinking stronger, made the process of thinking boring. What's better, to force yourself and write thoughtlessly or develop a will?

I should think in English. Yesterday's experience was not sufficient to figure out what's better. If my thinking becomes worse for the next three days, I return to "I want." I will use "I should" for a while. Today I've had meetings with the members of our group. Two meetings were planned and one meeting wasn't. Speaking with different people about the idea of learning to think in English — I figured out that nobody considers thinking as a powerful tool for developing English. If we write down the process of thinking during a day, we will get the book with more than 300 pages. I have counted it by multiplying 15 hours and 20 pages that I can read within an. If we think as fast as we can read, that observation is correct. What If we divide the book into several chapters and make notes in English in them?

My teacher advised me to use "want" instead of "should", but I've decided to replace the word by "must". I think it will pass the meaning more correctly. The reason for that is my attitude to the process of thinking. Sure, the wish brings some results, but necessity brings more. Especially if you figure out what the necessity is. When I know that I must think every day, I do it without efforts. Even though my wish will weaken, I can tune myself to work. Maybe sometimes I'm not being clever and everything I think is full of ~ — no matter. I know the process of thinking makes me better. I must continue it.

I must think in English. Ok, today I'm going to start with a simple question "who am I?" It's a nice question for the beginning. I am a man. What am I doing? I’m writing a note. Why am I writing the note? I am doing it to improve my English. Why do I need to improve my English? I want to think in English in order to get information with the help of it. Why do I need information? I need it because it makes me stronger. Why do I want to become stronger? I want to do it because it's the main thing that just exists… The way of learning to think in English by asking myself some questions is very simple and effective. When I finish one sequence I can start another: I can see. What do I see? Right now I can see this page and my arm with a pen...
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: Streem of consciousness (daily exercise)

Post by Joe »

tldr
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven