Contrast Of life

Add your poems, essays and short stories here. Please do not post work by other writers.

Moderator: EC

ALHASAN

Contrast Of life

Post by ALHASAN »

¬¬¬¬¬ She was saturated with her expensive perfume. It can be smelled in a light years distance. I can guess she sprays the last drop of that expensive bottle in its third day from purchase. Mariam loves to be covered with overpriced clothes from top to bottom. Gucci, Louis Viton, Prada, you name it. Even her Hejab is from one of these devil, blood sucking companies. She has a beautiful face that is completely ruined by a ten pound layer of makeup trying to bury the unhidden. Her friends have always pointed out that she has a straight unemotional face, or as we call it "poker face".
It is her fortiesh birthday and she seems neither interested nor sad or perhaps she is happy but nobody would know that from her lifeless face expressions. Her hands are very young for her age, wearing many jewelries enough to feed all the poor people in Africa forever. However, they were refracting a spectacular spectrum of lights inside her s-class Mercedes Benz as it was going through the beautiful high class streets of Bahrain. Donation board signs are everywhere in Bahrain, increased abruptly after the Arabic Spring.
It was ten past ten at night with rainless clouds scattered all over the sky. The weather in Bahrain is impossible to predict. However, summer is the predominant king season which boils any stain left from poor winter. The heat and humidity of summer is unbearable even at night, but the German air conditioner in her car was utterly powerful and it was Alaska inside her car. The streets were busy but quite. Driving in Bahrain is not that stressful and most people seem to obey the traffic rules. Besides, it is a small island which makes it easy to drive around and finish all your tasks in a short period of time.
Mariam loves her country so much which can be easily noticed by the frequent appearance of the Bahraini flag in her stuff. Her phone cover, pen and the small piece of cloth hanging over the front mirror covered with a golden pattern of Bahraini royal flag.
She was driving unfocusedly like she was thinking of something bothering her chain of thoughts with a little bit of hesitation. Her best friend Sara was sitting beside her. She looked exactly like Mariam as if she gained 100 pounds. She was scrolling carefully through her profile Instagram pictures like it was for the first time in her entire life not paying attention to the silly Arabic radio song or to Mariam. "I think it is time to donate some money to any charity organization which will help the poor " Mariam said. "Good idea" Sara replied carelessly. It seems like the reflections of the donation board signs on Mariam's expensive shiny black metal car somehow partially moved her feelings.
She was thinking about a particular sign board that caught her attention. A twelve years old boy, barefoot, covered with snow storm, wearing filthy thin clothes. He had an emotionless face like hers, standing in front of a poor refugee camp tents in front of many other unfortunate kids whom sharing the same fate or worse. What caught her attention is not the boy's ruthless appearance but it was his distant desperate eyes look which tells how much he was and still suffering. The human eyes are transparent windows to the emotional private world. You can see nothing but emptiness from that kid's windows. Emptiness is worse than sadness. Being sad means that you are still a live and sometimes it is important to be sad to taste happiness again. It is obvious that kid used to be happy full of life.
Mariam lowered the radio. "It is so unfair for these kids to live in such poverty. I really hate this world for not taking any serious actions against it "thinking to herself looking really upset and disturbed. Sara seemed not interested as she was raising the volume of that Arabic song again.
Mariam found a perfect spot to park her car. She was lucky because she could have been parking many kilometers away. " Wait here , I will pay the money and I will be right back" Mariam said. She opened her luxurious Mercedes car door and went inside the place that she arrived at.
A short thin guy greeted Mariam cheerfully like a child greeting his arrived mother. He knew Mariam is not an ordinary woman from her look and smell. The guy was becoming more excited as she was approaching his disc. His eyes widened and his pupil narrowed like he was looking at a bundle of cash wearing Hejab. " It is me .. Mariam" Mariam said with a big nervous smile. "Welcome Mariam. I knew who you were the moment you entered " the guy said. " I will pay by cash" Mariam said ignoring his statement" Whatever suits you ms Mariam" the guy said cheerfully.
Mariam opened her black leather Prada purse and took out a huge big fat envelope full of cash. "There you go. It is my friend's birthday gift and I have decided to spend it all" Mariam said. "You made the right choice Mariam" the guy replied.
Once Mariam gave him the money she felt a breeze of comfortableness like a mountain moved out of her chest. Her poker face finally was replaced by a very happy woman. A woman that really was proud of her self.
As Sara was waiting for Mariam inside the car she saw Mariam rushing in joy to the car. Sara came out and hugged Mariam as they both bursted into tears." Finally bought the Rolex watch that i always wanted !!! .. Thank you Sara .. You are my best friend !! " Mariam screamed. " It looks fabulous !!! .. You deserve it" Sara replied.
shakespear
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Contrast Of life

Post by shakespear »

ALHASAN wrote:trying to bury the unhidden.
you can't put " the" before " adjective"...you do that if you say for instance" the unhidden things".... .
i read the beginning but when i see the length of it i stopped ...you'd better divide it as parts..any way ..i think it's so beautiful piece...
REGARDS
our life is like a night mare