The Story of Ben

Add your poems, essays and short stories here. Please do not post work by other writers.

Moderator: EC

Butler
Rising Star
Rising Star

The Story of Ben

Post by Butler »

Ok here is my ghost story. I am not expecting comments but whether you believe in Ghosts or not this story is true.

The story of Ben

This story is about a ghost, or rather a spirit guide called Ben. A spirit guide is simple a spiritual entity that come to provide help or comfort when someone is feeling depressed or low or in need of just company. Not everyone will need one and I was always quite sceptical about this kind of thing. People still look at me as though I was slightly mental, but my close friends have experienced Ben many times. Who Ben is remains unknown to me, that is to say how he came to find me or who he is isn’t important.

It started after New Year 2000, I was madly in love with a girl, a girl I wanted to marry but she was young and had many plans. She said she would marry me but not yet. She wanted to travel and had already made plans to do so with her close friend. Needless to say I was broken hearted, to such an extent that I slipped into a serious depression. I gave up living a normal life, developed insomnia and basically just went to work and came home and lay on my sofa in the dark. I couldn’t make myself eat. My two close friends lived in the flat below me, an arrangement we made some months previous. These two men were the type of friends that always know what to do or say. They never once told me to just snap out of it and get on with my life. They knew that in time I would be Ok again. Instead they just sat in my living room with me and read a book or played on my computer, just to keep me company.

Then the strange stuff started. I had started to come to life slowly again. One evening I was with them in their flat below mine when we all heard someone walking in my flat. We all ran upstairs expecting to confront someone, perhaps a burglar but to our confusion nobody was there. The doors were closed and it was quite. We just looked at each other and went back down. Then fifteen minutes later it happened again and off we went again and again the same result. We were a bit freaked at this point. We just dismissed it as noise from our neighbours, even though we knew it wasn’t possible. We would have heard it before if it was the case.

I had a cat called Moby and he was always coming in and out of the house, but at that time he just stopped. Even if I picked him of to come in he would scream and run out. We found it odd but funny. So we put his food at the front door. One morning at 5am I was leaving for work and I looked over my shoulder into my friends flat and I saw Dave’s head look through the curtain at me. I just smiled at him, well I saw Dave because I was expecting him but when I mentioned it to him he told me he wasn’t at home that he stayed at a friend’s house. This was too freaky now for us. For many evenings we went through the same routine of hearing noise upstairs but we just ignored it. We all knew what it was and what is funny is that we were not at all scared or nervous.

One weekend I stayed at a friend’s house and as I didn’t sleep much, I lay in bed and then I saw someone sitting in the window. What was odd about that was it was as though I expected to see someone. It was a dark figure, I couldn’t see any face or whether it was male or female. I just looked and looked away and I must have fallen asleep. I told my friend about it and she was not too impressed.

Many other things happened and they became so routine that I almost expected them. Then things got stranger. I started to wake up because I heard voices, but the voices I heard were mine. I later found out that I was having conversations in my sleep. I would wake up while I was still talking. Hard to explain but I never knew what I was saying. Many nights I would see someone sitting in the chair in my room, it provided me with some comfort. And that was the point of Ben.

I worked with a man who was a psychic. He was a very kind and gentle man. My boss had told everyone to just leave me alone to do my work and not to annoy m. He saw how sad and depressed I was, but this man was the only one to talk to me. I was always nervous around him because I knew he could see things in me that I wasn’t ready to show. One afternoon he came into my office and took my hand and closed his eyes. This I found very unsettling, then he just said “I can help you !” I froze. I could feel myself crying inside. I just said thank you.

He came over that evening and explained to me about Ben and why he was there. He told me he was there because I needed comfort and help. I didn’t know what to say. He said that usually spirit guides come when someone is so lost in their life that they have no direction or idea what to do. He explained to me about Ben and that it was perhaps someone from a past life I knew that I helped and was friends with. He was just returning the favour. I explained all that happened with the girl that left and he said Ben knows you are broken hearted and alone. I didn’t understand how I was to use Ben. What do I do with a spirit guide? This man told me that he will just be there as a sort of assistant. Someone who will just be there anytime you need him. This felt like the greatest news to me.

There have been many times since 2000 that I have experienced Ben. I had a very bad period of illness while I lived in Ireland and often I woke up in mid conversation. My friends from Northern Ireland came to visit me and even they had the pleasure of his presence. Because they knew the story they were not afraid. They told me that during the night they could hear someone playing with their jewellery which was on a bedside locker.

And even as recent as the past few weeks I have felt or heard him near me. My ex girlfriend found it funny but strange to hear me having full conversations in my sleep. She would often listen without ever really understand what the conversation was about. What she should have realised was that Ben mostly only appears when I am at a low point in my life. Maybe this is why she is an ex girlfriend.

I know people will read this and not believe or understand it but trust me Ben is real, just ask my friends.

The End.
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

This is a very creepy story. It was 12pm when I was reading it. I felt chilly and scary.

but why it was Ben? not someone else such as Mike, Joey....?
Butler
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Butler »

RedRose wrote:This is a very creepy story. It was 12pm when I was reading it. I felt chilly and scary.

but why it was Ben? not someone else such as Mike, Joey....?
Rose I have no idea and I was told that I may not even know him or have known him. Maye it was someone from a past life. But I like the name Ben now and I know this may sound very funny but I have come to look upon Ben as a friend...no I am not mental...(or Menthol).
Butler
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Butler »

Violet I just read your second story and I have heard many stories like this...its a commom thing...like people at deaths door watching and waiting for that moment to come back....
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Teacher, it just gave me the creeps.
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

Yeah, it is a hairs-on-the-neck-and-back story.
Butler
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Butler »

Just to add a small but very important part to the Ben story, I have dreams from time to time with him it them and I recieve some odd message from him. I was very ill 3 years ago and was not sure if I would ever walk again and Ben told me in a dream these exact words "It will get better soon" Was creepy as hell but sure enough I am as active as ever.
Last Thursday I had a dream and Ben's last words to me were "Don't worry, it's not over yet" If it is what I think it means then I will be happy.

I know it's hard for most people to imagine or even believe all this and I don't expect people to just accept it. It's enough for me to believe.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Maybe it was your unconscious :roll:
Butler
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Butler »

Dixie wrote:Maybe it was your unconscious :roll:
Or maybe you mean it was my subconscience....maybe..
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Sorry, teacher :oops:
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

thank you, both of my two teachers! :mrgreen:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »