How could AI help (or not) students learn English?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

mvccortez

How could AI help (or not) students learn English?

Post by mvccortez »

Hi, my name is Marcos, I´m from Brazil.

I’ve been studying English for a long time. Even though I’m not a very well speaker, I’m fascinated to learn this amazing language. Throughout my journey of learning, I tried different approaches and methodologies, for example, I´ve been enrolled in to exchange program twice in Canada, I used to watch movies, podcasts, etc and nowadays I am having a private class with an awesome teacher.

Recently, I realized that we now have another tool that may help students to improve their English skills. I’m talking about AI (Artificial Intelligence)! We have a thousand of these tools on the Internet. A few days ago, I had doubts about Word formation, and then I asked the AI to help. The result was amazing – I got exactly what I am looking for.

However, it could have a contrary effect. For example, students could use this tool to write their essays or solve some tests. In my opinion, it should not be relied on as the sole means of learning. Language learning is a complex process that involves not only mastering grammar and vocabulary but also developing speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills. AI tools can be helpful supplements, but they cannot replace the benefits of engaging in real-life communication with native speakers or taking classes with experienced teachers.

Altogether, AI can be a strong tool for English learners when it is used appropriately as well as in conjunction with other methods of language learning.

What about your opinion? Please, share your thoughts.
bethgrant

Re: How could AI help (or not) students learn English?

Post by bethgrant »

Well, a smart student is the one who can utilize AI tools instead of depending on AI tools. It is undeniable that AI tools bring many advantages and disadvantages. As an English learner, you should utilize the advantages of these AI tools. Let me take Google Translation as an example. A normal student uses Google Translation as a translating tool and translate everything. Gradually, it become an indispensable tool for this student. However, a smarter student will use Google Translation as a tool which help to check his pronunciation. If Google Translation can understand everything he said, it means that his pronunciation is good.
Mr Greg
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Mr Greg »

AI can help students learn if they ask the right questions.

Though I do think videos will still be the better medium, as it connects with audio and visual learning.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

hello i need help