Past perfect continuous tense
It refers to a specific Continuous action or time. Which is quite clear from the meaning.
It indicates an ongoing action that was completed at some specific period/ time in the past.
I had been teaching English since 20220.
So, the above sentence, ‘talks about an ongoing action that was completed in 2020. This means
the starting point is not known but it was continuous until that specific time in 2020.
Formation of the sentences.
We use the helping verb had + been + present participle of the verb + ing.
● He had been watching the movie the whole night.
● They had been writing the novel.
1) Positive formula/structure.
● He had been washing late at night.
● It had been raining yesterday.
● She had been studying for three hours.
● They had been playing the game for 5 hours.
● We had been running hard.
2) Negative formula/structure.
Subject + had + not + been + 1st form of the verb + ing + object/complement.
● He had not been washing late at night.
● It had not been raining yesterday.
● She had not been studying for three hours.
● They had not been playing the game for 5 hours.
● We had not been running hard.
3) Interrogative formula/structure.
Helping verb ‘Had’ + subject + not + been + 1st form of the verb + ing + object/complement?
● Had he been washing late at night?
● Had it been raining yesterday?
We use had with both singular and plural subjects.
● Had she been studying for three hours?
● Had they been playing the game for 5 hours?
Note: we use ‘since’ & ’for ’in addition. We use a time clause.
Since. It indicates the starting period of the ending period of action.
● He had been teaching grammar since 1993.
● She had been working since the begging.
For: it indicates the duration of action. This means how long an action is going on.
● He had been teaching grammar for many years.
● She had been working for two years.
1. They had been cleaning since morning.
2. We had been running for many hours.
3. She had been doing her work when I called her.
4. Teachers had been teaching for many decades.
5. The leader had been leading since begging of the year.
6. She had been watching late at night.
7. Kamran and John had been typing since 10 pm.
8. They had been driving perfectly.
9. Had they been driving perfectly?
For more examples click https://carvetheraw.com/past-perfect-co ... h-examles/
Past Perfect Continuous Tense
Feel free to post here :)
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:11 pm
- Status: Teacher of English
- Location: pakistan
1 post • Page 1 of 1