English as a second language

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

josemiesteban

Re: English as a second language

Post by josemiesteban »

What problems are there in practising speaking outside class if you are studying in:

a) in your own country
The easy way is to speak in the language you know best. Besides it's difficult to find people to speak to in English in your day-to-day life.

b) an English-speaking country
Afraid of making a fool of myself. Also I think it's difficult don't make your group of friends of the same language.
Rachelita

Post by Rachelita »

What problems are there in practising speaking outside class if you are studying in:

A) in your own country?

In my opinion, the most important problem is to have free time, it doesn`t matter the different types of students, or the age of each student, for me, is very important to have free time. In my specific case, I would like to practising speaking outside class in my own country but with someone native of the language.

B) an English-speaking country?

It would be great to be able to practice the language an English-speaking country, but you have to be careful with making silly mistakes
MarceCRN

Post by MarceCRN »

A) in your own country?

Well, in my opinion there are some problems. In my case, the main problem to speak English here, in Catalonia, is to find places where English is the only language to use. Maybe tourists ask me some question about public transportation and it's all. Then, I remember when I have travelled in Europe before pandemic I could speak English with people from Germanic or Nordic countries. In two cases, all the people use a basic English, a standard and academic language.

In the second question, my experience is very poor. I have a little experience when I visited London for one weekend. In this case the problem was to notice the strong difference between the language of the English people and the academic English I was studying. It was better when I told with foreign people like another tourists or in Indian restaurants.
''..we do not take a trip; a trip takes us'' ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
Chari

Post by Chari »

In my opinion the problem could be the same in both cases, "find someone to practice with"

When you are studying English in your own country (this is my case at the moment) it is very difficult to find native speakers to talk to. It is easy to find material, like audios, videos, tv series, on the Internet, but with these tools you can improve your listening, not your speaking.

When you are studying in another country, and you are a shy person (like me) it is also difficult to meet new people to talk to (outside of class). But it is true that you must use English in this case to communicate in everyday situations (for example in the supermarket, the bus station ...).
MarceCRN

Post by MarceCRN »

Yes! I agree with you, Chari. To speak English is very difficult. In my case the problem increase with my listening. Then, I try to listening to English with radio stations, podcats radio or in some museums I could have audioguides in English.

Anyway, I am optimistic: the best class is the total immersion in English situations (for travelling, for working, etc.), and then I want to think I will achieve the level in a few hours/days.

About radio stations: on radio.garden

About podcats: on National Public Radio of the USA, https://www.npr.org/programs/

See you!
''..we do not take a trip; a trip takes us'' ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
Estephany

Post by Estephany »

A) in your own country?
In my opinion it's difficult because we are used to speaking Spanish for example watching series or movies in Spanish instead of seeing it in English. Furthermore, we need someone who are native speaker to help us with the pronunciation.

In this case, It's easier than own country because all in this English-speaking country are in their language. It's a funny way to learnt English because we can meet new people everyday and practise speaking with them.
Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miguel »

TatianaB wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:21 pm In my opinion the problems in practising speaking outside class in your own country are:
First of all it's difficult to find English speakers. Secondly whereas EVEN IF we can find a speaker the shame of speaking wrong OF MAKING MISTAKES it´s too big but of course we have to overcome it. My own problem is that in public when someone asks me something in English I'm blocking I GET STUCK and can't even say ''Hello'', not because I don't understand or don't know what they are saying, because my mind is blowing up and can't remember any words... it's insane I know.

But on the other hand practising speaking in an English speaking country it's IS more efficient, however not less difficult. I'm speaking from my own experience of studying Spanish. I have come here only knowing basic words, without practising, I've studied by my own a little. Although it is very difficult but you don't have another option, then to listen, to study and always try to speak. Generally ALL IN ALL, speaking will help you not only to increase IMPROVE you speaking but at the same time you will overcome your fears and will be more confident.
WELL WRITTEN TATIANA
LydiaBuquet

Post by LydiaBuquet »

In my opinion some problems there are in practising English outside class are:

A) in your own country?

In my country, Spain, most people do not know English and do not speak it, so it is difficult to find companions to practice it. In addition, although there are exchanges of English in the cities people usually spend their free time with friends. I think it is difficult to have English as a priority when it is not necessary for your daily life.

In other countries it is difficult to practice English because the level is very high and difficult to understand.Furthermore, depends on the country where you travel the English accent is very different from what you know. Finally, I think if you’re a shy person, it’s hard to be able to loose embarrassment of speaking a language that isn’t yours because you might think people will make fun of you.
Magni Education

Post by Magni Education »

I think that the problem of speaking the language you are studying outside of the classroom exists no matter where you live. If you live in an English speaking country, will you really speak more English? Will, you only speak enough English to accomplish the tasks you need to accomplish. For example; doing your job, shopping and paying bills.