Boris Johnson doesn't have deputy PM at hand?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

SitangCampus
Rising Star
Rising Star

Boris Johnson doesn't have deputy PM at hand?

Post by SitangCampus »

It seems that during his absence from post due to hospitalization it is the Foreign Minister of the government who actually serves as the acting PM. But as far as I remember, David Cameron has a deputy PM, who even looked like him as a twin brother. So has the political system been changed after Brexit? The opposition parties may not be happy if things go on like that, especially Labor Party chairman Jeremy who lost in the last election.
Safari
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Boris Johnson doesn't have deputy PM at hand?

Post by Safari »

SitangCampus wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:30 am It seems that during his absence from post due to hospitalization it is the Foreign Minister of the government who actually serves as the acting PM. But as far as I remember, David Cameron has a deputy PM, who even looked like him as a twin brother. So has the political system been changed after Brexit? The opposition parties may not be happy if things go on like that, especially Labor Party chairman Jeremy who lost in the last election.
I don't think we have a permanent official position known as Deputy PM for UK. It's more for the PM to choose and that can change at any time. At the moment Dominic Raab (Foreign Secretary) is deputising for the PM.

It should be remembered that as PM Boris Johnson is only the "prime" minister. Like all the other ministers he is a minister of the Queen (Head of State), and he is simply the "first" amongst them, or primus inter pares = first among equals. This helps to keep the politicians in their place so they don't get too uppity. The PM needs to remember that he/she is only the head of government, and not head of state, and that the government is appointed by the Queen as head of state. When people say, for example, "Boris Johnson's government" they are wrong. It is Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II's government.

Boris Johnson has bean very irresponsible and still is being so. Because he tried to "work" and "run the government" and plaster his face all over YouTube after he tested positive for COVID-19 and should have been "resting and recovering" he ended up in intensive care taking serious resources away from other people and conceivably causing others' deaths. Even now that he has been discharged from hospital, he is still putting on a TV show of his face when he should be staying in bed and recovering properly. The UK deserves a proper government, not to be led by some maniac convalescing from COVID-19.

I had nothing but praise for Boris over Brexit, but his ridiculous social media presence while SICK is beyond the pale.
SitangCampus
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by SitangCampus »

Safari wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:58 am
I don't think we have a permanent official position known as Deputy PM for UK. It's more for the PM to choose and that can change at any time. At the moment Dominic Raab (Foreign Secretary) is deputising for the PM.

It should be remembered that as PM Boris Johnson is only the "prime" minister. Like all the other ministers he is a minister of the Queen (Head of State), and he is simply the "first" amongst them, or primus inter pares = first among equals. This helps to keep the politicians in their place so they don't get too uppity. The PM needs to remember that he/she is only the head of government, and not head of state, and that the government is appointed by the Queen as head of state. When people say, for example, "Boris Johnson's government" they are wrong. It is Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II's government.

Boris Johnson has bean very irresponsible and still is being so. Because he tried to "work" and "run the government" and plaster his face all over YouTube after he tested positive for COVID-19 and should have been "resting and recovering" he ended up in intensive care taking serious resources away from other people and conceivably causing others' deaths. Even now that he has been discharged from hospital, he is still putting on a TV show of his face when he should be staying in bed and recovering properly. The UK deserves a proper government, not to be led by some maniac convalescing from COVID-19.

I had nothing but praise for Boris over Brexit, but his ridiculous social media presence while SICK is beyond the pale.
I learn from history that at least two kings of the UK were beheaded and a republic was founded in the same territory, so it is weired to say the government is that of a Queen or a King. Allow me to say something that may sound not so respectful, the current royal family cannot even manage their home affairs properly, how can one expect them to have a good government for the country?

Another thing is about the substitution of PM, why is it that foreign minister takes the place but not the home secretary or health minister in the face of epidemic? Maybe a committee headed by the house speaker or the judge of high court is more sensible.
Safari
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Safari »

SitangCampus wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:53 am
Safari wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:58 am

I learn from history that at least two kings of the UK were beheaded and a republic was founded in the same territory, so it is weired to say the government is that of a Queen or a King. Allow me to say something that may sound not so respectful, the current royal family cannot even manage their home affairs properly, how can one expect them to have a good government for the country?

Another thing is about the substitution of PM, why is it that foreign minister takes the place but not the home secretary or health minister in the face of epidemic? Maybe a committee headed by the house speaker or the judge of high court is more sensible.
Or even a real expert, such as a batmonger.